A party with numerous teenagers at 130 Mansfield Ave. on Saturday night, March 25 and into Sunday morning was stopped when an officer on patrol saw two teenagers in a dispute outside the house, police said.
Darien police described the incident with this account (including accusations not proven in court):
At 12:39 a.m., the officer saw the two teenage men, both 18, in a dispute in the driveway. Numerous teenagers were at the house.
Police later found that both men live at the house. A 17-year-old was inside a nearby car, which wasn’t running, and appeared intoxicated, smelling strongly of alcohol.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
The two residents of the home were given infraction tickets charging them with possession of alcohol by a minor, which has a $136 fine (which can be mailed in).
One of the men said he had invited a few friends over, and he admitted that there was beer in the home. The officer found beer inside, along with a beer pong game set up and other indications that a party had taken place.
“Numerous” teenage guests were turned over at the scene to their parents or other adults that police deemed were responsible enough to get them home safely.
- What Happens When Darien Police Visit an Under-Age Party with Alcohol (Feb. 21)
- DHS Principal Ellen Dunn on Drugs, Drinking, Disciplining Students and What Parents Can Do (Feb. 12)
- Panelists: High Rate of Teen Drinking in Darien Comes with High Stress, Lax Attitudes (Feb. 8)
- Experts Offer Parents Tips on Building Resiliency, Respecting Kids While Holding Them to Standards (Feb. 19)
- Darien Health Dept: How Many of These Risks from Under-Age Drinking Do You Know? (Feb. 19)
- Commentary: Parents Need to Make Clear to Teens That Drinking Is Unacceptable (Feb. 7)
- GreenwichFreePress.com: Pink & White Dance Shut Down at Arch Street Teen Center after Teens Arrive Intoxicated (Feb. 6)
- Group Launches Campaign to Counter Darien’s ‘Troubling Rate of Teenage Binge Drinking’ (Feb. 2)
- DRINKING IN DARIEN: Worse than Elsewhere for Both Teens and Adults — and the Problem is Growing (Jan. 30)
- NEW COLUMN: Advice from a Lawyer: Parents, Know Your Teen Party Responsibilities (Nov. 22, 2016)
— See also: OurDarien.com micro-website of the Thriving Youth Initiative —
Darien’s Teenage Drinking Parties
Articles on teenage drinking at parties last year and this year:
- Police Stop Under-Age Drinking Party, Charge Host, Age 16 (Feb. 27, 2017)
- Teenage Party with Beer Broken Up: One Teen Charged (Dec. 13, 2016)
- Police: Teenage Party with Five 30-Packs of Cold Beer at Brookside Road Home (Nov. 28)
- Mansfield Ave House Damaged During Large Teen Party with Lots of Alcohol (Nov. 7)
- Darien Boy, 15, Taken to Hospital After Drinking Party on Bishop’s Gate Road (Nov. 1)
- Police: Host, 19, Arrested After Teen Drinking Party on Althea Lane (June 27)
- Host Charged After Police Alerted to Teen Drinking Party on Swifts Lane (May 23)
- Police: Teenage Host Charged After Underage Party with Alcohol (April 4)
- Post-Season Penalty for Hockey Player Accused of Hosting Party with Alcohol? (March 28)
- Cops: Darien Parents, Upstairs, Charged After Teens Party with Alcohol Downstairs (Feb. 29)
Other 2016 Articles About Teenage Drinking in Darien