Darien Police said they stopped a party Monday night, Feb. 20 on Richmond Drive where under-age youths were drinking, and charges were brought against the 16-year-old host.
Police described what happened with this account, including accusations not proven in court:
At 10:25 p.m., a tip through the Police Department’s anonymous tip line resulted in police visiting 23 Richmond Dr., where they saw many youths on the property (no number or estimate was given in the report). Almost all of the partygoers ran off when officers approached.
Police saw a 30-pack of Keystone Light beer on the front lawn, and through a large front window saw many beer cans and red solo cups on a table.
- What Happens When Darien Police Visit an Under-Age Party with Alcohol (Feb. 21)
- DHS Principal Ellen Dunn on Drugs, Drinking, Disciplining Students and What Parents Can Do (Feb. 12)
- Panelists: High Rate of Teen Drinking in Darien Comes with High Stress, Lax Attitudes (Feb. 8)
- Experts Offer Parents Tips on Building Resiliency, Respecting Kids While Holding Them to Standards (Feb. 19)
- Darien Health Dept: How Many of These Risks from Under-Age Drinking Do You Know? (Feb. 19)
- Commentary: Parents Need to Make Clear to Teens That Drinking Is Unacceptable (Feb. 7)
- GreenwichFreePress.com: Pink & White Dance Shut Down at Arch Street Teen Center after Teens Arrive Intoxicated (Feb. 6)
- Group Launches Campaign to Counter Darien’s ‘Troubling Rate of Teenage Binge Drinking’ (Feb. 2)
- DRINKING IN DARIEN: Worse than Elsewhere for Both Teens and Adults — and the Problem is Growing (Jan. 30)
- NEW COLUMN: Advice from a Lawyer: Parents, Know Your Teen Party Responsibilities (Nov. 22, 2016)
— See also: OurDarien.com micro-website of the Thriving Youth Initiative —
A 16-year-old boy, soon identified as the host of the party, answered the front door. Other underage people were found in the house. Police called the parents of two of them, ages 17 and 18,who were picked up by a friend to get driven home.
One of the host’s parents arrived back home at some point. The host said he didn’t buy or provide alcohol to anyone, although people who came to the party brought beer with them.
He was charged with permitting minors to possess alcohol and failure to halt the possession of alcohol by minors, and he is scheduled to appear later in Juvenile Court in Stamford.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com weekday newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
Police found a beer pong game set up in the basement and about 80 cans of unopened Natural Light and Keystone Light beer in the house. The Youth Bureau of the Darien Detective Division was notified.
Darien’s Teenage Drinking Parties in 2016
Articles on teenage drinking at parties last year:
- Teenage Party with Beer Broken Up: One Teen Charged (Dec. 13, 2016)
- Police: Teenage Party with Five 30-Packs of Cold Beer at Brookside Road Home (Nov. 28)
- Mansfield Ave House Damaged During Large Teen Party with Lots of Alcohol (Nov. 7)
- Darien Boy, 15, Taken to Hospital After Drinking Party on Bishop’s Gate Road (Nov. 1)
- Police: Host, 19, Arrested After Teen Drinking Party on Althea Lane (June 27)
- Host Charged After Police Alerted to Teen Drinking Party on Swifts Lane (May 23)
- Police: Teenage Host Charged After Underage Party with Alcohol (April 4)
- Post-Season Penalty for Hockey Player Accused of Hosting Party with Alcohol? (March 28)
- Cops: Darien Parents, Upstairs, Charged After Teens Party with Alcohol Downstairs (Feb. 29)