The quality of Darien’s single-stream recyclables (i.e., level of contamination) is reportedly very good, except for one thing …
— an announcement from Darien Recycling Center
… too many closed plastic bags! The sensors at City Carting’s sorting facility only work for items that are LOOSE; closed plastic bags are pulled out and thrown away.
If you’re going to take the time to separate recyclables, please ensure that they actually get recycled and open/empty all plastic bags!!
This announcement is from the Darien Recycling Center on Facebook. Like that page on Facebook and you can get your tips directly, as soon as they come out, and keep informed on other recycling information. Find out more about recycling in Darien here.
More tips from the Darien Recycling Center:
- What to do with used water filters
- What to do with old smoke detectors
- What to do with unwanted dry cleaning hangars
- What to do with old sports equipment
- What to do with food containers that still have food in them
- How to dispose of air conditioners, refrigerators, dehumidifiers
- What to Take Home from the Darien Recycling Center
- What light bulbs can be recycled
- Can any batteries not be recycled?
- Which paints are accepted and which types aren’t.
- Four Ways to do Single Stream Recycling Better
- Old Appliances Like Washers, Dryers & Stoves
- You can recycle working markers, pens or pencils.
- Recycling used paper towels?
- On recycling usable and unusable clothing, shoes, linens and accessories like purses and backpacks.
- About recycling various types of metal items.
- What to do with large plastic items.