A panel of five area experts will speak at Darien High School on Tuesday night, Feb. 7, about teen drinking from the perspectives of the law and law enforcement, how it impairs teenage brains and athletic abilities and how Darien High School deals with drinking.
The meeting is for both parents and students.
The panel discussion takes place in Darien High School auditorium from 7 to 8:30 p.m. (or 9 p.m., according to the Community Fund of Darien website).
These panel members will be participating in the discussion:
- Darien EMS-Post 53 Director Nancy Herling will discuss how Darien ambulance crews respond to intoxicated teens.
- Darien Police Detective James Palmieri (until recently, the Police Department school resource officer at DHS) will discuss underage drinking trends in Darien from a police perspective.
- Dr. Aaron Krasner of Silver Hill Hospital will talk about how alcohol affects the teenage brain.
- Attorney Matthew Maddox of New Canaan will tell parents about the legal consequences of allowing minors to consume alcohol in your home.
- DHS Principal Ellen Dunn will explain how the school deals with underage drinking.
Sponsors of the program are the Middlesex Parents Association, the Darien High School Parents Association and the Community Fund of Darien.
- GreenwichFreePress.com: Pink & White Dance Shut Down at Arch Street Teen Center after Teens Arrive Intoxicated (Feb. 6, about an event last Saturday)
- Group Launches Campaign to Counter Darien’s ‘Troubling Rate of Teenage Binge Drinking’ (Feb. 2)
- DRINKING IN DARIEN: Worse than Elsewhere for Both Teens and Adults — and the Problem is Growing (Jan. 30)
- NEW COLUMN: Advice from a Lawyer: Parents, Know Your Teen Party Responsibilities (Nov. 22)
Darien’s Teenage Drinking Parties in 2016
Articles on teenage drinking at parties last year:
- Teenage Party with Beer Broken Up: One Teen Charged (Dec. 13, 2016)
- Police: Teenage Party with Five 30-Packs of Cold Beer at Brookside Road Home (Nov. 28)
- Mansfield Ave House Damaged During Large Teen Party with Lots of Alcohol (Nov. 7)
- Darien Boy, 15, Taken to Hospital After Drinking Party on Bishop’s Gate Road (Nov. 1)
- Police: Host, 19, Arrested After Teen Drinking Party on Althea Lane (June 27)
- Host Charged After Police Alerted to Teen Drinking Party on Swifts Lane (May 23)
- Police: Teenage Host Charged After Underage Party with Alcohol (April 4)
- Post-Season Penalty for Hockey Player Accused of Hosting Party with Alcohol? (March 28)
- Cops: Darien Parents, Upstairs, Charged After Teens Party with Alcohol Downstairs (Feb. 29)
Other 2016 Articles About Teenage Drinking in Darien
- UPDATE: Two Drunk Teens, Other Misbehavior Among Fans Noted at High School Game (May 5)
- More Information on Report of Drunk Female Teen Amid May Day Misbehavior at Lax Game (May 9)
- Teens Caught Drinking May Get Education Program Rather Than Charges, Police Chief Says (April 28)
Editor’s note: This article (which was in addition to an earlier event listing) was originally published at 10:37 a.m., Feb. 7. The time stamp has been changed to move it down on the home page after the event.