A Darien police officer saw a woman driving so slowly on Interstate 95 that traffic was backing up behind her as she changed lanes without using turn signals, police said.
The woman was charged with driving while under the influence. Darien police described what happened with this account (including accusations not proven in court):
The officer was driving southbound near Exit 10 on the highway at 1:20 a.m. on Saturday, March 18 when he saw the car, a 2010 Toyota Prius, as the Stamford woman was driving it.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com newsletter.
- Like and follow Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
The officer pulled over the driver, who stopped at the Darien South rest stop. When talking with the driver, the officer smelled a strong odor of alcohol coming from the vehicle, and the driver’s eyes were red and glassy. Her speech was slurred, and she told the officer she had been drinking that night and was driving home from Bridgeport.
She couldn’t perform field sobriety tests in a satisfactory way, so she was charged with driving while under the influence and failure to give a proper turn signal when switching lanes.
- Replacement Starts April 1 for Old Kings Hwy North Bridge Over Interstate 95 (March 20)
- This Week’s Highway Lane Closures Start Monday on Merritt Pkwy in New Canaan, Stamford (March 20)
- Blood-Alcohol Content Levels and Impairment
At Darien Police Headquarters, she took a breath test at 2:17 a.m., about an hour after the traffic stop, and the result was a 0.1778 blood-alcohol level, double the allowed 0.08. A second breath test at 2:36 a.m. was 0.1677, still twice the limit.
She was released on $50 cash bond and is scheduled to appear March 28 in state Superior Court in Stamford.
Darien-Related DUI Arrests Since Jan. 1:
- Police Charge Man, 36, with DUI on Post Road (March 13)
- Man, 28, Gets DUI & Other Charges After Stop on Old Kings Hwy South (March 7)
- Police: DUI for Man, 29, Driving 4X Over Double Yellow Line on Tokeneke Road (March 6)
- Police: DUI for Man, 26, Whose Driver’s License Had Already Been Suspended (Feb. 28)
- DUI for Man, 18, After SUV Hits a Tree on Bailey Ave (Feb. 21)
- Police: DUI for Darien Man, 60, Found Driving Too Fast on Old Kings Hwy South (Jan. 23)
- Police: DUI for Man, 24, Driving on Wrong Side of the Road (Jan. 18)
- Darien Man Charged with DUI & Driving 54 MPH on Post Road (Jan. 17)
- DUI for Woman, Her 3rd Arrest in 11 Days — a Day Later, She Was Shot (Jan. 10)
- Darien Woman, 25, Charged with DUI in Westport (Jan. 7)