Police say a 38-year-old man driving on Leroy Avenue just before 2 a.m. was stopped when his SUV went over the double yellow line three times, and when his breath was tested, he was a bit over the limit for blood-alcohol content.
Darien police gave this account of the incident, which includes accusations not proven in court:
The officer saw a gray, 2005 Toyota RAV4 sport utility vehicle traveling north on Leroy Avenue just before 2 a.m. on Saturday morning, April 8. After seeing the vehicle cross over the line into the oncoming lane three times, the officer had the driver pull over near the intersection of Leroy and McLaren Road.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
The driver, a Stamford resident, said he was following a car and had a couple of alcoholic drinks at Seaside Tavern in Stamford. The police officer smelled alcohol on his breath.
The man didn’t properly complete field sobriety tests, so he was arrested on charges of driving while under the influence and failure to drive on the correct side of the road.
At Darien Police Headquarters, a breath test at 2:44 a.m. showed a blood alcohol content of 0.104, which is above the legal driving limit of 0.08. The second test, at 3:06 a.m. (more than an hour after the man’s driving was first seen by the police officer), showed 0.78, which is allowed under the law.
The driver posted a $50 bond and is scheduled to appear April 18 in state Superior Court in Stamford.
Police reported these other DUI arrests in February and March:
- Police: DUI for Man, 28, Driving West on Eastbound Side of Post Road (March 21)
- Police: DUI for Woman, 33, Driving So Slow That Traffic Was Backing Up Behind Her — at 1:20 AM (March 20)
- Police Charge Man, 36, with DUI on Post Road (March 13)
- Man, 28, Gets DUI & Other Charges After Stop on Old Kings Hwy South (March 7)
- Police: DUI for Man, 29, Driving 4X Over Double Yellow Line on Tokeneke Road (March 6)
- Police: DUI for Man, 26, Whose Driver’s License Had Already Been Suspended (Feb. 28)
- DUI for Man, 18, After SUV Hits a Tree on Bailey Ave (Feb. 21)