A 29-year-old driver later charged with driving while under the influence didn’t stop for a stop sign and crossed the double yellow line on Tokeneke Road four times, Darien police said.
Police described what happened with this account, including accusations not proven in court:
At about 12:46 a.m. on Friday, a police officer saw a 2011 Ford F350 pickup truck leave the Exit 12 ramp of Interstate 95 and, without stopping for the stop sign at the end of the ramp, turn right on Tokeneke Road.
The pickup crossed over the double yellow line four times. The officer stopped the vehicle near the Tokeneke Road intersection with Harriet Lane.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com weekday newsletter.
- Like and follow Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
The officer smelled alcohol coming from the car and later smelled it coming from the driver, a Norwalk resident whose eyes were glassy and speech slurred. He said he had two drinks with alcohol earlier that evening in Stamford.
The man couldn’t adequately perform field sobriety tests and was charged with driving while under the influence, failure to obey a stop sign and failure to drive on the right side of the road.
He refused to take any breath tests and his bond was set at $300. He was scheduled to appear March 13 in state Superior Court in Stamford.
Unrelated to this incident, Darien police say there were five motor vehicle accidents, none with injuries, in town in the seven days ending Sunday. One was in a parking lot.
Darien-Related DUI Arrests Since Jan. 1:
- Police: DUI for Man, 26, Whose Driver’s License Had Already Been Suspended (Feb. 28)
- DUI for Man, 18, After SUV Hits a Tree on Bailey Ave (Feb. 21)
- Police: DUI for Darien Man, 60, Found Driving Too Fast on Old Kings Hwy South (Jan. 23)
- Police: DUI for Man, 24, Driving on Wrong Side of the Road (Jan. 18)
- Darien Man Charged with DUI & Driving 54 MPH on Post Road (Jan. 17)
- DUI for Woman, Her 3rd Arrest in 11 Days — a Day Later, She Was Shot (Jan. 10)
- Darien Woman, 25, Charged with DUI in Westport (Jan. 7)