When a police officer saw a vehicle being driven erratically on the Post Road at about 9:15 p.m. last Friday, the officer pulled the car over and soon charged the 56-year-old man behind the wheel with driving while under the influence.
Police described what happened with this account, including accusations not proven in court:
The officer first saw the vehicle being driven extremely close to the vehicle in front of it; then it failed to turn right in a right-turn-only lane; then it swerved suddenly, almost completely into another lane.
The officer stopped the driver on the Post Road near its intersection with West Norwalk Road. The driver, a Fairfield resident, had slurred speech, but when asked how many drinks he had that night, he at first said “None.” Asked again, later, he said, “One.”
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
He failed to perform field sobriety tests properly and was charged with driving while under the influence and failure to drive in the proper lane. At Police Headquarters, he refused to take a breath test for blood-alcohol content.
(Refusing to take that test can result in more severe driving restrictions from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles, even if the arrested person is not convicted. Police said Moore was advised that more severe penalties can occur by refusing the test.)
The driver was later released on $250 bond and is scheduled to appear June 6 in state Superior Court in Stamford.
Police reported these other DUI arrests in March, April and May:
- Police: Man, 42, Charged with DUI After Officer Saw Him Swerving from Lane to Lane (May 30)
- Police: DUI for Man, 23, Who Believed He Was in New Canaan (May 22)
- Police: DUI for Woman, 26, Operating Damaged SUV at Twice Legal Blood-Alcohol Limit (May 8)
- Police: DUI Charge at 2 AM for Man, 38, on Leroy Ave (April 11)
- Police: DUI for Man, 28, Driving West on Eastbound Side of Post Road (March 21)
- Police: DUI for Woman, 33, Driving So Slow That Traffic Was Backing Up Behind Her — at 1:20 AM (March 20)
- Police Charge Man, 36, with DUI on Post Road (March 13)
- Man, 28, Gets DUI & Other Charges After Stop on Old Kings Hwy South (March 7)
- Police: DUI for Man, 29, Driving 4X Over Double Yellow Line on Tokeneke Road (March 6)