A 26-year-old man told police he had about five drinks before he was charged with driving while under the influence at a 2:09 a.m. traffic stop Sunday on the Post Road near Academy Street, police said.
Darien police described the incident with this account, which includes accusations not proven in court:
A police officer saw a gray 2010 Nissan Z being driven without headlights and pulled it over. The officer immediately smelled alcohol coming from the driver and saw the man’s eyes were bloodshot and glassy.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com weekday newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
He told the officer that he was coming from a friends house and was on his way back home to Yonkers, N.Y. Records showed that the man’s license had been suspended. He told the officer he didn’t know why.
The driver wasn’t able to pass a field sobriety test and was charged with driving while under the influence of alcohol and failure to have headlights on. At Darien Police Headquarters he declined to take a breath test.
He was held on a $250 bond until he was released to a family member at 4:22 a.m. and is scheduled to appear March 8 in state Superior Court in Stamford.
Darien-Related DUI Arrests Since Jan. 1:
- DUI for Man, 18, After SUV Hits a Tree on Bailey Ave (Feb. 21)
- Police: DUI for Darien Man, 60, Found Driving Too Fast on Old Kings Hwy South (Jan. 23)
- Police: DUI for Man, 24, Driving on Wrong Side of the Road (Jan. 18)
- Darien Man Charged with DUI & Driving 54 MPH on Post Road (Jan. 17)
- DUI for Woman, Her 3rd Arrest in 11 Days — a Day Later, She Was Shot (Jan. 10)
- Darien Woman, 25, Charged with DUI in Westport (Jan. 7)