A Darien man who failed to stop for a stop sign, then drove over the double yellow line on Tokeneke Road at 2:28 a.m. on Sunday was found to have been drinking and was charged with driving while under the influence of alcohol, police said.
Police described what happened with this account, including accusations not proven in court:
A police officer saw a gray 1998 Honda Accord leave the Interstate 95 Exit 12 ramp and turn right onto Tokeneke Road without stopping for the stop sign. The car crossed over the double yellow line, into the oncoming traffic lane, and the officer had the vehicle stop near the intersection of Tokeneke Road and Driftwood Lane.
The officer noticed the smell of alcohol on the breath of the 44-year-old driver. The man told the officer that all he had to drink that night was a single Heineken beer.
The man agreed to perform field sobriety tests, but didn’t perform to an acceptable standard. He was charged with driving while under the influence, failure to stop for a stop sign and not driving on the right side of the road.
At Police Headquarters, the driver refused to take a breath test (which can result in harsher driving restrictions from the state Department of Motor Vehicles). He was released on a $50 cash bond and told he could not drive for 24 hours. He is scheduled to appear July 14 in state Superior Court in Stamford.
Unrelated: Recent Darien Motor Vehicle Accidents
Darien police report that in the seven days ending Monday, July 2, a total of 11 accidents happened in town, none of which involved injury to people.
Police reported these other DUI arrests in April, May and June:
- Police: DUI for Vespa Rider, 34, Already Wanted on DUI Charge in Florida (June 29)
- Police: DUI for Man, 28, with Expired Registration, Illegal Drug Under Seat (June 26
- Police: DUI Charge for Darien Man, 35, Speeding Over 90 MPH on Highway (June 26)
- Police: Man Was Intoxicated, Driving and Tussling With the Guy His Ex-Girlfriend Was With (June 19)
- Police: DUI for Man Found Passed Out Behind the Wheel of a Running Car at 8:45 AM (June 13)
- Police: DUI for Man, 23, Who Drove Onto Highway, Drifting Between Lanes (June 5)
- Police: DUI for Man Found Unconscious in SUV in Middle of Road at 1 PM, Car in Drive (June 5)
- Darien Man, 36, Accused of DUI, Driving Offenses in New Canaan (June 2)
- Police: Man, 42, Charged with DUI After Officer Saw Him Swerving from Lane to Lane (May 30)
- Police: DUI for Man, 23, Who Believed He Was in New Canaan (May 22)
- Police: DUI for Woman, 26, Operating Damaged SUV at Twice Legal Blood-Alcohol Limit (May 8)
- Police: DUI Charge at 2 AM for Man, 38, on Leroy Ave (April 11)