When a 35-year-old Darien man later charged with driving while under the influence turned onto the Interstate 95 on ramp from Tokeneke Road, he
- didn’t use his turn signal,
- drove over the white fog line,
- swerved between lanes and
- sped faster than 90 mph on the highway,
according to police.
Here’s the rest of the account (which includes accusations not proven in court) that Darien police gave describing the incident:
At about 12:46 a.m., a police officer saw a white 2016 Mazda CX traveling east on Tokeneke Road turn without signaling onto the I-95 on ramp.
The car turned so fast onto the entrance ramp that it shifted left and passed over the white fog line for a while, before the driver corrected and got back into the lane.
The driver sped faster than 90 mph and swerved between lanes before taking Exit 10, where the officer had it stop.
The driver smelled of an alcoholic beverage, and his bloodshot eyes were glassy. He struggled to maintain eye contact with the officer. When asked for his license, he struggled to find it, although the officer saw it was in plain sight in front of him.
The officer had the driver take a field sobriety test, which he failed to complete to an acceptable standard. The driver was charged with driving while under the influence and failure to use his turn signal.
At Police Headquarters, a breath test registered the driver’s blood-alcohol level at 0.2253 at 1:43 a.m. and 0.2179 at 2:02 a.m. Those results are roughly 2 1/2 times the legal limit of 0.08.
The driver, a resident of Allen O’Neill Drive, posted a cash bond of $60 and was released. He is scheduled to appear July 3 in state Superior Court in Stamford.
Police reported these other DUI arrests in April, May and June:
- Police: Man Was Intoxicated, Driving and Tussling With the Guy His Ex-Girlfriend Was With (June 19)
- Police: DUI for Man Found Passed Out Behind the Wheel of a Running Car at 8:45 AM (June 13)
- Police: DUI for Man, 23, Who Drove Onto Highway, Drifting Between Lanes (June 5)
- Police: DUI for Man Found Unconscious in SUV in Middle of Road at 1 PM, Car in Drive (June 5)
- Darien Man, 36, Accused of DUI, Driving Offenses in New Canaan (June 2)
- Police: Man, 42, Charged with DUI After Officer Saw Him Swerving from Lane to Lane (May 30)
- Police: DUI for Man, 23, Who Believed He Was in New Canaan (May 22)
- Police: DUI for Woman, 26, Operating Damaged SUV at Twice Legal Blood-Alcohol Limit (May 8)
- Police: DUI Charge at 2 AM for Man, 38, on Leroy Ave (April 11)