You can recycle bags, and do that at the Darien Recycling Center, but for many bags there are even better options that the recycling center hopes you’ll choose. Here are two tips about bags from the Darien Recycling Center:
#1 — Avoid disposable bags
Single use plastic & paper bags are recyclable, but let’s face it: a lot of resources go into making, transporting & recycling them. 100 billion (yes — BILLION) plastic bags are consumed annually in the U.S., and many end up littering our landscapes, highways and waterways.
A variety of reusable bags are available — most are inexpensive, durable and can be cleaned. Find ones you like and make a habit of using them!
#2 — Darien Thrift Shop can use them
Wading through shopping bags, tissue paper and packing materials? All can be recycled in single stream but, better yet, most of these materials can be reused by non-profits like the DCA Thrift Shop (996 Post Road).
See also: Boy Scouts Accept Donations for Annual Tag Sale on These Dates in April (March 15)
— These announcements (the second one slightly edited) are from the Darien Recycling Center on Facebook. Like that page on Facebook and you can get your tips directly, as soon as they come out, and keep informed on other recycling information. Find out more about recycling in Darien here.
Other recent recycling tips:
- Recycling smoke detectors can be done here at the Recycling Center.
- You can recycle working markers, pens or pencils.
- Recycling used paper towels?
- On recycling usable and unusable clothing, shoes, linens and accessories like purses and backpacks.
- About recycling various types of metal items.
- What to do with large plastic items.