A 53-year-old Norwalk driver was intoxicated when a police officer saw her swerving over the double yellow line into the northbound lane on Tokeneke Road when she was traveling south, police said.
Police gave this further account of what happened, including accusations not proven in court:
At 12:56 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 6, a police officer on patrol saw a gray Honda traveling south. The vehicle swerved several times and crossed over the yellow lines into the oncoming-traffic lane.
The officer stopped the vehicle near the Norwalk border. While speaking with the driver, the officer smelled the odor of an alcoholic drink coming from the car and saw that the driver’s eyes were red and glassy. She also had difficulty focusing on the officer.
The driver said she had been drinking. She submitted to field sobriety tests but failed to perform them adequately and was charged with driving while under the influence and failure to stay on the right side of the road.
At Police Headquarters, she agreed to take a breath test, but she was uncooperative and failed to perform it correctly. Police noted that as a “refusal.” The woman, a Rowayton resident, posted $50 bond and is scheduled to appear Dec. 16 in state Superior Court in Stamford.
Five Other DUI Arrests in the Past Two Months
Darien police previously announced these six other arrests on charges driving under the influence since Oct. 1, just over two months ago (publication dates are in parentheses; most arrests involved drivers from out of town):
- Police: DUI for Man, 43, Driving Erratically on Post Road With 3X Legal Blood-Alcohol Limit (Dec 4)
- Police: DUI for Man, 38, Seen Swerving in Lane, Found With More Than 3X Legal Blood-Alcohol Limit (Nov. 26)
- Police: DUI for Man, 44, After Collision at Intersection of Post Road and Brookside Road (Nov. 13)
- Police: DUI for Man, 33, After He Drives Car Into Rocks by the Side of the Road (Oct. 21)
- Police: DUI for Man, 32, After Car Crashes Into Stone Wall Near Sharp Curve on Hollow Tree Ridge Road (Oct. 16)
- Police: DUI for Darien Man, 32, Speeding Downtown After 1 AM (Oct. 8)