A 43-year-old man was behind the wheel of a compact SUV and had a blood-alcohol content recorded at three times the legal limit after a police officer saw him driving erratically on the Post Road just west of its intersection with Quaker Lane, police said.
Darien police described what happened with this account, including accusations not proven in court:
While on patrol, the officer saw a green Toyota Rav4 being driven erratically east on the Post Road at about 10:36 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 24. The officer stopped the vehicle near Quaker Lane (across the Post Road from the firefighter statue and just east of the Post Road/Renshaw Road intersection).
While speaking with the driver, Jose Olivio-Alvarado, the officer smelled an alcoholic drink coming from the man, saw that the man’s eyes were bloodshot and glassy and that he was slurring his words. Olivio Alvarado said he had been drinking beer earlier that night.
The driver took a standard field sobriety test but failed to perform it to an acceptable standard, so he was arrested on charges of driving while under the influence and failure to drive on the right side of the road.
At Police Headquarters, about two hours after his arrest, he took a breathalyzer test, which showed his blood-alcohol content at 0.240 at 12:26 a.m., three times the legal limit of 0.08 for drivers. A second test at 12:47 showed the blood-alcohol content at 0.225.
Olivio-Alvarado, a Norwalk resident, was later released on a $250 bond. He is scheduled to appear Dec. 5 in state Superior Court in Stamford.
Five Other DUI Arrests in the Past Two Months
Darien police made these five other arrests on charges driving under the influence since Oct. 1, just over two months ago (most involving drivers from out of town), according to the department:
- Police: DUI for Man, 38, Seen Swerving in Lane, Found With More Than 3X Legal Blood-Alcohol Limit (Nov. 26)
- Police: DUI for Man, 44, After Collision at Intersection of Post Road and Brookside Road (Nov. 13)
- Police: DUI for Man, 33, After He Drives Car Into Rocks by the Side of the Road (Oct. 21)
- Police: DUI for Man, 32, After Car Crashes Into Stone Wall Near Sharp Curve on Hollow Tree Ridge Road (Oct. 16)
- Police: DUI for Darien Man, 32, Speeding Downtown After 1 AM (Oct. 8)