Police: Darien Man Charged Twice in Two Days After Violent Incident at Home



Download PDF

After drinking a bottle of vodka, a 58-year-old Darien man repeatedly punched and pushed another person at home, before police were called at about 1:10 a.m. on Saturday, police said.

He was charged in that case and taken to Stamford hospital for observation, police said. A day later he was charged a second time after calling someone to get a ride home, although that person was connected to the first case and police had issued an order of protection forbidding him to contact that person.

Since the matter is a domestic violence case, state law forbids police from describing the victim in any way. The arrested man’s address was also not released, and Darienite.com will not publish his name.

Darien police described what happened in this further account, including accusations not proven in court:

Police were called to the home on a report of an assault in progress. When police arrived at the scene, they saw the man on a couch. He was incoherent, smelled of an alcohol drink and seemed to be very drunk and irritated. He said he drank an entire bottle of vodka, which was empty nearby. Police decided to get him to Stamford Hospital for observation.

The victim told police: The man had passed out when the victim arrived, and the man stayed asleep for 20 or 30 minutes. When the victim tried to arouse the man, his glasses fell off, which made him upset. He then attacked the victim punching and pushing the victim several times.

A police spokesman said the police report did not mention any marks seen on the victim (police commonly ask to see them).

Another person told police the man had been drinking a lot during the day.

Police charged the man with disorderly conduct and issued him a misdemeanor summons, releasing him on a promise to appear Jan. 22 in state Superior Court in Stamford. Among his conditions for release was not to return to the home or contact certain people there.

The next day, Sunday, the man called one of the people protected by the no-contact order and asked for a ride home. The person told the man he wasn’t allowed to do that, and the man became belligerant and used profanity.

Police later found the man walking on the Post Road. They arrested him on a charge of violating his conditions of release, held on $10,000 bond and taken to state Superior Court in Stamford on Monday, Jan. 22.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *