The Darien Community Association Women’s Luncheons will feature “How a Book is Published and Marketed,” for their luncheon on Tuesday, Dec. 3 at at the DCA.
Plus Barrett Bookstore, which is presenting the event, will be available to give helpful guidance for book groups and ideas for Christmas gifts.
— an announcement from the Darien Community Association
Barrett Bookstore will be bringing us Mackenzie Bronk, a sales rep from Hachette Book Group (HBG), to talk about the book industry.
Hachette is considered one of the big-six publishing companies, along with Macmillan, Penguin Random House, HarperCollins, Scholastic, and Simon & Schuster.
In one year, HBG publishes approximately 1400+ adult books (including 50-100 digital-only titles), 300 books for young readers, and 450 audiobook titles (including both physical and downloadable-only titles). In 2016, the company had 214 books on the New York Times bestseller list, 44 of which reached No. 1.
Mackenzie will talk about what it takes for a manuscript to make an impression and the path it follows; from the depths of the slush pile, through the editing process to the printing press and into your TBR pile. In addition, she will offer a sneak peek at the best of current and upcoming fiction, non-fiction, and gift book titles.
Q&A will be followed by an opportunity to do a bit of shopping. Barrett Bookstore will be on hand to sell and wrap recommended titles. A lovely way to spend a morning and check items off your holiday to-do list!
If You’re Going …
- The luncheon starts at 12:15 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 3
- This event is $40 per person, or $25 for DCA members
- The event includes a lunch provided by Michael Joseph’s Catering.
- Prepayment for this event is required by noon on Monday, Dec. 2
- You can register and pay online at the DCA website, or by contacting the DCA at 203-655-9050 ext. 10.
- The DCA is at 274 Middlesex Road in Darien.