Town Seal Room 206 Town Hall

The Darien Town Seal: More Than One Version

Download PDF

Darien’s town seal has an image of Gorham’s Mill at Gorham Pond (on the west side of Ring’s End Road where it now crosses the pond), and most versions of the image deviate very little from the original painting by John Stobart. As the town website puts it: “A painting by John Stobart of Gorham’s Mill at Gorham’s Pond depicts the present town seal. The grist mill was originally constructed in 1708 by Richard Scofield and called Scofield’s Mill. […]”

Versions of the Darien seal on town vehicles follow Stobart’s depiction, although they’re simplified. We have several pictures attached to this article of the town seal as shown on various town police articles of clothing and vehicles.