Two food-serving establishments in Darien each received the lowest town health inspection rating of “C” in the latest 12 reports released Thursday by the Darien Health Department.
The 12 inspections were conducted between July 10 and 19.
Most Recent Inspection Results
Here’s an alphabetical list of the most recently released results of Darien health inspections (an explanation for each part of the list, including links, is just below the list).
Keep in mind that a food-serving establishment with a history of good ratings may occasionally get a poor inspection rating, occasionally the best do, and every restaurant normally gets a few things wrong:
- Aux Delices — Goodwives Shopping Center — 25 Old Kings Hwy. North — July 18 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 93
- Chipotle Mexican Grill — Darien North rest stop, Interstate 95 — July 10 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 95
- Driftwood Diner — 171 Post Road — July 14 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 93
- Dunkin Donuts — Darien North rest stop, Interstate 95 — July 10 — Town Rating: B — State Score 90
- Frosty Bear Cafe — Darien Library, 1441 Post Road — July 19 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 96
- The Goose American Bistro & Bar — 972 Post Road — July 17 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 91
- Jennifer’s Kitchen @ White Bridge — 284 Tokeneke Road — July 19 — Town Rating: C — State Score: 78 — Inspector’s Remarks: “Moldy food in two refrigerators; product temperatures in lower portion of two-door upright fridge at 51 to 53 degrees (raw chicken, raw shrimp, cooked potatoes); no thermometer in the bain marie; raw food stored over ready-to-eat food in bain marie and walk-in [refrigerator]; food uncovered in walk-in; no sanitizer set uip on the line; FF [french fries?] maker (wall mounted) and utensils stored unclean; unclean food contact surfaces throughout; no QUAT test strips; plumbing issue at the prep/warewash hand sink: pouring onto floor; front and back doors both propped open: no screens; floors unclean under line equipment and the walk-in fridge; hood system unclean: last serviced June 2016.” — Inspector’s Comments: “Discussion: Ant issue in front customer bar area??”
- Sbarro Darien Northbound — Darien North rest stop, Interstate 95 — July 10 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 91
- Sbarro Darien Southbound — Darien South rest stop, Interstate 95 — July 19 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 90
- Taco Bell — Darien North rest stop, Interstate 95 — July 10 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 96
- Uncle’s Deli — 1041 Post Road — July 17 — Town Rating: C — State Score: 89 — Inspector’s Remarks: “Grab ‘n’ go case near front door temperature at 62 degrees F[ahrenheit] Product at 55 degrees F. Items removed; no visible thermometer in sandwich prep unit; improper sanitizing at ware wash; label all granular [containers]; reuse of single-serve aluminum trays.”
- Unidine at Zotos International — 100 Tokeneke Road — July 12 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 98
In the list of health inspection results above, information is listed by name, address, date of inspection, Darien rating, state score, inspector’s comments that led to the state rating and additional remarks on the inspection report.
Dates link to the food establishment’s inspection report referenced here (when available, sometimes it takes a while to get posted online), and Darien’s own A/B/C ratings link to a Web page showing several of the restaurant’s recent inspection ratings.
- Our previous article showing restaurant inspection ratings (July 7)
- Darien Health Department Starts Letter Grades for Food Service Inspections
For restaurants and other food-serving establishments rated “C,” and for some others of interest to the public (like schools) additional information is given. When we provide that information here, then words within brackets (“[ ]”) have been added for clarity by Darienite.com; semicolons like this (“;”) separate individual comments by the inspectors. Each comment is about a particular violation that triggers a point deduction from a perfect state score of 100.
How Darien’s Restaurants Are Rated
Restaurants in town are rated under the Darien Health Department’s own A/B/C ratings system. Health inspectors also use the state health code regulations to score restaurants, with a perfect score set at 100, and demerits (of 1 to 4 points each) for various code violations.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
The Darien system takes into account problems that are ongoing, so a restaurant scoring higher than others on the state scale may actually get a lower score on the Darien scale.
You can find the past several inspection ratings under the Darien ratings system for food-serving establishments on this website, and now you can also find copies of inspection reports, including state health code scores in the same place.
Any establishment actually deemed unsafe can be closed by the town Health Department until violations are fixed. Town Health Director David Knauf says that has never happened in the time he’s been with the department.