The average sales price for a home in Darien increased by 13 percent in the last quarter of 2017 versus the same time period in 2016 (the median sale price increased by 9.2 percent increase for the same time period).
Overall, the average sales price for a home in Darien rose by 1.4 percent in 2017, from $1,682,576 to $1,706, 371 and sale prices averaged 96 percent of list prices.
Buyers continued to place a premium on newly constructed or recently renovated homes in 2017, choosing a lower-maintenance lifestyle. They also demonstrated a strong preference for homes in areas close to town, trains and schools.
Trends in the real estate market in 2017 reflect high levels of inventory in the luxury categories. The number of homes on the market priced between $3 million and $5 million increased by 43.8 percent and the number of homes priced at $5 million and higher rose by 70 percent.
The highest demand was seen in the $500,000 to $699,999, and $1 million to $1.5 million price ranges.
Diane Farrell is a realtor with Houlihan Lawrence in Darien. A 20-year town resident, she is a board member of the Tree Conservancy of Darien. Her marketing and public relations business, Farrell Marketing and Media is based in Darien. You can reach her at email@example.com or (203) 984-0644.
- Sales Prices Rise in Darien in Last Quarter of 2017, But Demand Higher for New and Renovated Houses (Jan. 25)
- Darien & Rowayton Real Estate Report: Jan 11 to 18 (Jan. 18)
- Darien & Rowayton Real Estate Report: Jan 4 to 11 (Jan. 11)
- Darien & Rowayton Real Estate Report: Dec 14 to 21 (Dec. 21)
- Deepwood Road Home Goes for $1.11 Million and Other Darien Home Sales (Jan. 18)
- Heather Lane Home Sells For $1.4 Million and Other Darien Home Sales (Jan. 11)
- Christie Hill Road Home Goes for $1,375,000: Darien Home Sales (Dec. 29)
- Darien Sees Increase in Home Sales, Median Price Up in 2017 (Jan. 17)
Like this article? …
Sign up for the Darienite.com newsletter.
Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.