The Darien Department of Public Works will continue its bulk pickup program by appointment again this Spring. Pickup will be by appointment only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays beginning April 5 and ending on June 6, 2016.
Each home is restricted to a single pickup per calendar year. Pickup items are limited to those too large to transport in a passenger car or SUV.
— an announcement from the town Department of Public Works
Residents should have their debris put at the curb by 7 a.m. on the day of their scheduled pickup. No pickups will be made at addresses on private streets (unless property has road frontage on public street and material is placed on the curb by the public street).
These items will NOT be accepted:
- Hazardous waste.
- Sealed containers or barrels.
- Liquid wastes and paint
- Propane tanks, fire extinguishers or other pressure vessels
- Pathological or medical waste
- Logs, stumps, leaves, grass clippings, and brush
- Batteries (bring them to transfer station)
- Drywall (gypsum board, sheetrock or wall board)
Wood items must be smaller than 4 feet long and 6 inches in diameter.
Refrigerators, dehumidifiers, and air conditioners require a refrigerant sticker with an additional fee of $15, which may be paid at the Department of Public Works in the Town Hall (2 Renshaw Road) or at the transfer station scale house. If you go to the scale house to buy a purchasing the refrigerant sticker, please bring exact change.
Please remove refrigerator doors for safety and affix sticker onto device.
Please use the QAlert system
Residents are urged to utilize the town [government’s] website and QAlert system to schedule pickup appointments . Just go to the town government website, click on citizen service requests on the home page (see lower lefthand corner in the image just below), follow prompts and fill in the blanks.
Here’s an excruciatingly detailed list of instructions (if you get confused, you’ll want to refer to this):
- Go to the town government website and click on citizen service requests. You do not need an account and password. You can skip this step by clicking on “skip this step.”
- Fill in requested information, especially your email address if available. This will allow the department to communicate with you by email.
- If you are unable to enter information, you must use Google Chrome.
- Select e-mail (if you have email address) or phone under “Notify Me By”.
- Click on “continue to request info” and enter street number and name.
- Fill in your address in the field titled “Where Is The Issue?”
- Click on field titled “What Type of Issue” and selections will appear. Pick “Bulk Pickup Appointment”.
- Click on “Continue With Request” and enter preferred date for pickup. Pickups are scheduled for Tuesday or Wednesday only. If your preferred date is already booked, we will contact you for an alternate date.
- Click on “submit request.” You should get an email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your requests.
Residents without email access should call the Department of Public Works directly at 203-656- 7374.