If you’re a senior citizen or disabled resident of Darien who rents, you may be eligible for a rebate from the the state government for the rent you paid in 2018.
— an announcement from the Darien Human Services Department
The town Human Services Department will accept applications from Darien residents who meet the eligibility requirements and who apply for the rebates before Sept. 30, 2019.
Eligibility requirements are:
1. Must be 65 years of age as of December 31, 2018 or disabled and collecting Social Security disability payments.
2. One year or more residency in Connecticut.
3. Income must not exceed $36,000 for a single person or $43,900 for a married couple.
4. Disabled persons under age 65 must show proof of Social Security disability.
5. If you filed a 2018 income tax return, a copy is required.
6. Proof of income includes:
—Social Security (Form 1099)
—Interest on bank accounts
Proof of rent and utility payments is required for every month you were renting. A printout from the utility company, receipt of rent payment from your landlord, and canceled checks are acceptable.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call Darien Human Services at 203-656-7328. The Department is located in Town Hall, Room 109 and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.