In the latest 12 food health reports released by Darien Health Department following visits by health sanitarians to four school cafeterias and other food-serving establishments, eight inspections resulted in a rating of “Good” and four, “Fair.”
None got a “Poor” rating.
Details about the towns rating system for restaurants and other food serving establishments are at the bottom of this article.
The most recent inspection results
In the list of health inspection results, below, information is listed by name, address, date of inspection, Darien rating, state score, inspector’s comments that led to the state rating and additional remarks on the inspection report. Dates link to the food establishment’s inspection report referenced here (when available, sometimes it takes a while to get posted online), and Darien GOOD/FAIR/POOR ratings link to a Web page showing several of the restaurant’s recent inspection ratings.
- Our previous article showing restaurant inspection ratings (Dec. 2)
- You Can Now Read Full Health Inspection Reports on Darien Restaurants Online
For restaurants and other food-serving establishments rated “poor,” and for some others of interest to the public (like schools) additional information is given. When we provide that information here, then words within brackets (“[ ]”) have been added for clarity by Darienite.com; semicolons like this (“;”) separate individual comments, each one with a particular violation that triggers a point deduction from that perfect state score of 100 points.
Here’s an alphabetical list of the most recently released results of Darien health inspections (keep in mind that a food-serving establishment with a history of “Good” ratings may occasionally get a “Fair” or “Poor” inspection rating, occasionally the best do, and every restaurant normally gets a few things wrong):
- Darien High School — High School Lane — Dec. 14 — GOOD — 100
- Hindley School — 10 Nearwater Lane — Dec. 9 — GOOD — 98 — Inspector’s remarks: “Food items stored on floor in walk-in freezer.”
- Middlesex Middle School — 204 Hollow Tree Ridge Road — Dec. 12 — GOOD — 98 — Inspector’s Remarks: “Freezer door in disrepair; wall behind prep table unclean.”
- Tokeneke School — 7 Old Farm Road — Dec. 9 — GOOD — 100
For Ox Ridge School and Royle School inspection results, see our previous inspections article.
- Aux Delices — Goodwives Shopping Center, 25 Old Kings Hwy. N. — Dec. 12 — GOOD — 93
- Chipotle Mexican Grill — 71 Post Road — Dec. 14 — GOOD — 93
- Darien Diner — 275 Post Road — Dec. 5 — GOOD — 92
- Darien Seafood Market — 1941 Post Road — Dec. 13 — GOOD — 94
- Hibachi Sushi Ya — 111 Old Kings Hwy. N. — Dec. 14 — FAIR — 90
- Lithos Estiatoro — 319 Post Road — Dec. 9 — FAIR — 90
- Stop and Shop — Goodwives Shopping Center — 25 Old Kings Hwy. N. — Dec. 7 — FAIR — 92
- Whole Foods Market — 150 Ledge Road — Dec. 12 — FAIR — 88
How Darien’s restaurants are rated
Restaurants in town are rated under the Darien Health Department’s own Good/Fair/Poor ratings system. Health inspectors also use the state health code regulations to score restaurants, with a perfect score set at 100, and demerits (of 1 to 4 points each) for various code violations.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com weekday newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
The Darien system takes into account problems that are ongoing or that have been fixed, so a restaurant scoring higher than others on the state scale may actually get a lower score on the Darien scale, or vice versa.
You can find the past several inspection ratings under the Darien ratings system for food-serving establishments on this website, and now you can also find copies of inspection reports, including state health code scores in the same place.
Any establishment actually deemed unsafe can be closed by the town Health Department until violations are fixed. Town Health Director David Knauf says that has never happened in the time he’s been with the department.