Darien Library presents The Catcher Was a Spy, in two showings as part of the library’s Friday Night Feature series, shown for free in the Community Room.
The movie is about a major league baseball catcher who becomes a spy during World War II and tries to stop Germany from making an atomic bomb. Based on a true story.
(2018) Starring Paul Rudd, Mark Strong, Sienna Miller, Jeff Daniels, Guy Pearce; Rated R for some sexuality, violence and language; 93 minutes; Presented with captions for the hearing impaired.
- New York Times review: “‘The Catcher Was a Spy’ Carries a Peculiar History Lesson” (June 21)
- “Who Was Moe Berg? A Spy, a Big-League Catcher and an Enigma” (New York Times, June 21)
- New York Times review of Nicholas Dawidoff’s 1994 biography, “The Catcher Was a Spy: The Mysterious Life of Moe Berg”
- Currently there’s an exhibit about Moe Berg at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.
- Plenty of short videos about Moe Berg on Youtube