Police: Homeless Man Behaving Bizarrely Arrested Again

Police Car

Police Car

Chevrolet Caprices, like the black and white style, are being phased out.

Download PDF

A 62-year-old, frequently homeless man arrested in Darien on a number of previous occasions over the past several years, harassed a woman in a parking lot in the Noroton Heights Shopping Center, then exposed himself during a confrontation with police officers, according to police.

Darien police described the series of bizarre incidents with this account, which has accusations not proven in court:

At 7:22 p.m. on Monday, June 26, police were called to the parking lot outside Palmer’s Market on Heights Road, on a report of a man yelling at a woman. The description sounded like the same man police have confronted in similar incidents.

The woman told police she was approached by the man, who asked her whether or not she “knew about the girl who was a downhill skier,” then began yelling obscenities at her. She walked away. He said he would follow her inside and see what was in her purse. She screamed and ran into the supermarket. He repeatedly lunged at her.

When police arrived, they didn’t see the man, but started looking in the area. They found Robert Houseworth, 62 (whose address is listed as a post office box) inside the Noroton Heights Post Office. He matched the description of the man they were looking for and expected to find.


See also:


When they found him in the Post Office lobby, he was tearing up mail that seemed to be his own. Littered on the floor around him were envelopes, some torn up, some not.

When Houseworth saw the police, he immediately became angry and started yelling obscenities and making nonsensical comments. At least a tone point, he approached and moved back from various officers in an aggressive way, shouting  “What are you going to do about it!” then turned around with his hands behind his back. Similar behaviour followed, and at one point he exposed his genitals.

He was arrested without a struggle.

The woman from the Palmer’s parking lot spoke with police after Houseworth was taken into custody. She identified him as the man who was harassing her.

While Houseworth was at Police Headquarters, police confirmed that Houseworth had been warned by police officers on two separate occasions not to enter the that Post Office except for official business.

He was charged with breach of peace, third-degree criminal trespass and third-degree criminal mischief.

He was held on $500 bond overnight, then taken to state Superior Court in Stamford the next morning. His bond was increased to $1,000, which he did not post. His next court appearance is scheduled for July 31.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *