A Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck, unlocked and with the keys in the locked center console, was stolen sometime after 11 p.m., Friday, June 2 and the next morning.
It was found Saturday in Norwalk through a stolen vehicle wireless communications service.
The victim told police that her 2015 Chevy Silverado, valued at $50,000, was parked in her driveway near the garage at 11 p.m. on Friday. At 7:30 a.m. the next day, she discovered it was missing.
Police contacted OnStar, where an employee activated the tracking system on the pickup truck. That showed it was parked on Plattsville Avenue in Norwalk., a short side street near Exit 2 of Route 7.
Norwalk police were notified and went to the street, where they found the car. Darien police detectives processed it for fingerprints and other evidence before returning the vehicle to the owner.
Three thefts of or from vehicles were reported from the same overnight period — Friday, June 2 to Saturday, June 3:
- Sometime from 9:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. — at 205 West Ave., a 2013 Range Rover that the owner thought may have been unlocked was entered and two pairs of Ray Ban sunglasses with a total value of about $285 were taken. This location is about two thirds of a mile away from 10 Henry St.
- Sometime from 11 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. — this incident at 10 Henry St.
- Sometime from 12:30 a.m. to 8 a.m. — outside of a house at 24 Charles St., an unlocked Lexus ES was entered and various items were taken. The distance between the this location and 10 Henry St. is about 360 feet, according to Google Maps.
These other three thefts or reports of motor vehicles entered were reported recently nearby:
- Friday, May 26 — about 8 p.m. — somewhere on Patton Drive — an unlocked vehicle was entered but nothing taken, according to the Darien Police Department website
- Saturday, May 27 and Sunday, June 4 — 32 Miles Road — a change purse was taken sometime between these dates from a car often left unlocked. The victim believed the theft happened overnight, according to police.
- Wednesday, May 31 — around midnight — Walmsley Road — a theft from a vehicle, according to the Darien Police Department website.