Police: Homeless Man Caught in One Darien Office Building with Stolen Laptop from Another

Download PDF

Darien police arrested a homeless man they say was in a business building at night without permission, and when they searched him, they found a laptop that had been stolen a month earlier.

Police described what happened with this account, including accusations not proven in court:

Carl Agbemabiese arrest photo Darien PD 08-22-17

Photo from Darien PD

July 30 Arrest photo for Carl Agbemabiese, charged with burglary and larceny in Darien

At about 10:30 p.m. on July 30, a police sergeant on patrol saw Carl Agbemabiese, 24, walking on the Post Road near Richmond Drive. Police have encountered Agbemabiese before and know that he is a homeless man, with a last known address on Anita Court in Newark, Del.

A Darien Police Sergeant on patrol initially observed Carl Agbemabiese walking on the Post Road near Richmond Drive. Agbemabiese is known to officers, from previous encounters, to be a homeless male.

The sergeant later saw him in the area of 671 Post Road, the offices of Halstead Properties. Officers checked the building and found a door was unsecured. Police, as is common in these cases, went inside the building to check for a possible intruder.

In a bathroom on the first floor, they found Agbemabiese and arrested him. Police had previously warned him not to enter private property.

When he and his belongings were searched, police found he had an Apple MacBook laptop. The device had been taken from the offices of Alcone Marketing’s at 320 Post Road, a theft that had been reported on July 7.

Agbemabiese admitted he had taken the computer. He added that he’d wiped all the company’s information from the hard drive so he could use the device himself.

Police charged Agbemabiese with third-degree burglary, third-degree computer crime, fifth-degree larceny and fifth-degree trespassing, according to police.

He was held on $5,000, which he could not pay, and was taken the next day to state Superior Court in Stamford.

The Connecticut Judicial Branch website now lists the trespassing charge against him as first-degree criminal trespass. His bond has been reduced to $3,500, and he has been released. His next court date is Aug. 30.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *