Police: Darien Man, 59, Repeatedly Violates Restraining Order After Victim Relocates to Hotel

Download PDF

A Darien resident obtained a restraining order forbidding James Reilly, 59, from contacting the resident or staying in their mutual Pleasant Street home. But he did both — staying at the home after the Darien resident relocated to a hotel in Fairfield County, Darien police said.

Reilly was arrested on Sunday, Nov. 24, on an arrest warrant police obtained charging him with violating the restraining order.

Here’s how Darien police described what happened, in an account that includes accusations not proven in court:

James Reilly mug shot

Photo from Darien P.D.

James Reilly, 59, of Pleasant Street, Darien, on Nov. 24, 2019, charged with violation of a restraining order

The victim went to Police Headquarters on Saturday, Nov. 23 to tell officers that the victim had applied for a restraining order against Reilly “due to physical altercations that had taken place in the past” during the victim’s relationship with Reilly. (State law forbids police from naming the victim or giving out identifying information about the victim, including the victim’s gender).

After the restraining order was approved by court authorities, Reilly had been served with it last Tuesday, Nov. 19.

At some point after that, Reilly had called the victim and sent a text to the victim that said “please call me” and included the picture of a check. The victim didn’t reply.

By this point, the victim was staying in the hotel.

On Nov. 20, Reilly sent the victim a picture of another check that the victim had left at home. The picture could only have been taken if Reilly had entered the victim’s home (which was forbidden by the order).

The victim was told by a family member that Reilly was staying in the victim’s home (which the order also forbade).

On Saturday, Nov. 23, the victim went to Police Headquarters to tell them Reilly was violating the restraining order. Police applied for and received the arrest warrant and informed Reilly of it. On Sunday, Reilly turned himself in at Police Headquarters.

His bond was set at $100,000, which he did not post. He was taken to state Superior Court in Stamford this morning, Monday, Nov. 25.

Comments are closed.