- This event has passed.
Cynthia Sayer and Joyride Band Perform at Levitt Pavilion
August 12 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Cynthia Sayer, an acclaimed four-string banjoist, performs “The Hot Banjo Show” with her Joyride Band in a free, outdoor concert from 7 to 8:30 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 12 at the Levitt Pavilion in Westport.
Cynthia returns to the Levitt’s Epstein Stage after having headlined at the 2017 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and, this year, being the first-ever four-string banjoist invited to appear at the Newport Jazz Festival.
An award-winning instrumentalist and vocalist, Sayer is acclaimed by musicians, critics, and fans alike as one of the top 4-string banjoists in the world today. She returns to Levitt Pavilion as an audience favorite.
Her eclectic, swing-based shows embody the rarely heard range and versatility of the jazz banjo in the hands of a beloved master, celebrating historic jazz banjo stars, Vaudeville, American Songbook favorites, virtuoso classics, Western Swing, and more.
- “Cynthia Sayer is a rarity; a woman who plays banjo with drive and virtuosity.” — NEW YORK TIMES
- “Some of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest 2017’s best moments … Cynthia Sayer and her Joyride Quartet was a fresh breeze. Power banjo, very cool.” — OFFBEAT MAGAZINE
If You’re Going …
The lawn and concession areas are open to the public one hour before show-time. The Levitt Pavilion is closed to public during load-in and sound-check.
Picnics are welcome. The Levitt Pavilion and its perimeter is a non-smoking area. Pets are not allowed.
In case of inclement weather, check back here or call our concert hotline (203-221-2153) at or after 4:30 p.m. on the day of the show for a location status update. While we have a nearby rain location for free shows, we always do our best to stay outside shower or shine!
- Free shows are BYO-Lawn Chairs or Blankets (unless otherwise indicated).
- For free shows, tickets are not required (unless otherwise noted in show description); free entry on first come basis.
- The Levitt Pavilion Lawn closes for sound check at 4 p.m .and re-opens one hour before show-time for picnicking. Lawn closes nightly after show.
- Our on-site concession opens one hour before showtime and stays open during all shows.
- Beer and wine is available for purchase. Photo I.D. required. (Beer and wine is not sold on Wednesdays.)
- Picnics and coolers are still welcome for free shows. Note: Picnics and coolers may not be permitted at some ticketed benefit events – check show information when buying ticket. Always be prepared to condense your picnic when show starts if directed to do so by staff.
- Love our Lawn! Please use trash receptacles. Do not dispose of ice or cooler water on lawn. Plastic and cans are always preferred – the Lawn is a barefoot zone!
- High tables, tents and umbrellas are not permitted.
- The Levitt Pavilion and its perimeter is a non-smoking area.
- Pets are not permitted on the grounds.
- Do not stand on or walk through planted areas.
- Children must be monitored by guardians at all times. Please encourage conduct that allows all guests to focus on and enjoy what is happening on stage once show begins.
- No stage or backstage area access permitted; this includes the area directly behind the stage.
- To access our new RiverWalk, use the Shoup Path or the entrance by the footbridge at Imperial Avenue Parking Lot.
- In case of inclement weather, call our concert hotline (203-221-2153) or check back here and click on the event at or after 4.30 p.m. on the day of the show for a location status update. While we have a nearby rain location for free shows, we always do our best to stay outside shower or shine!The Levitt Pavilion for the Performing Arts produces one of the longest running free outdoor festivals in the nation. Established by the Westport community in 1973, the Levitt Pavilion remains an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. The only way to support us is directly! Become a member or make a donation directly at www.levittpavilion.com.