Are you a Democrat in town who would like to march in the Darien Memorial Day parade on Monday? The Darien Democratic Town Committee is inviting you to join in the town’s patriotic procession.
“As many of you may recall, we did this in 2019 and it was a smashing success. We would love a good turnout to reflect our increased presence in town, so please join us,” DTC Chair David Bayne said in an announcement Thursday to his fellow Democrats.
The parade is solely a patriotic event, not a political one (and both the parade rules and the Democratic Town Committee forbid “overt political signs or messaging” at the event. As Bayne put it: “It is not in keeping with the solemnity of the day.”
Full Text of Bayne’s Announcement
The Darien Democrats are back and we want you to march in the Memorial Day parade with us next Monday morning, May 31.
As many of you may recall, we did this in 2019 and it was a smashing success. We would love a good turnout to reflect our increased presence in town, so please join us.
Please plan to meet us in the Goodwives Shopping Center parking lot by 9:30 a.m. Parade steps off at 10 a.m. We’ll probably exit the parking lot about 10:30. We should reach the end of the route by 11:30. You can be home by noon.
A few quick notes:
(1) ALL ARE WELCOME. DTC members and all Democrats, spouses, kids, everyone. Have friends or family visiting from out-of-town? Tell them “Yes, we can!” Dems from nearby towns without a parade? Bring them along too! Kids can ride scooters. A strong turnout is desired.
(2) If possible, please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with a headcount of your attendees. But walk-in are welcome on Monday morning too.
(3) PLEASE WEAR BLUE! Best option is a blue top and white / light pants or shorts. But really, anything blue will do.
(4) Best parking option is probably Mechanic St. parking lot, behind the Darien Fire Dep’t.
(5) Read the complete 2021 parade marcher instructions, listed below.
(6) We have impressive and professional signage! You may be invited to carry the banner identifying our group as the Darien Democrats! Let us know if you’re interested! Kids will love it!
(7) Feel free to bring American flags, but no overt political signs or messaging. It is not in keeping with the solemnity of the day.
(8) Bring sunscreen!