The Town of Darien Department of Public Works will pick up leaves according to the schedule below.
— an announcement from the Darien Department of Public Works
Pick-up # 1:
- Monday, Oct. 31, 2016, North of Railroad Tracks; and,
- Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016, South of Railroad Tracks.
Pick-up # 2:
- Monday, Nov. 14, 2016, North of Railroad Tracks; and,
- Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016, South of Railroad Tracks.
Pick-up # 3:
- Monday, Nov. 28, 2016, North of Railroad Tracks; and,
- Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016, South of Railroad Tracks.
Please note the following important reminders:
- Leaves will only be picked up if bagged and the bag must be clearly marked “100% Biodegradable” and made of paper. Loose leaves or leaves in plastic bags will not be collected. Please check your local hardware or big box store and supermarket for availability.
- Bags must contain only leaves. Bags containing brush, grass clippings, garbage, or other material will not be collected.
- Residents are not required to participate in the town leaf pickup. Residents are encouraged to compost leaves on their property.
- Dates listed are start dates. Bagged leaves should be at the curb by 7 a.m. on the first morning of the date listed.
- Once leaves have been collected, no return trips will be made until the next scheduled pick-up.
- Leaves will be collected on public roads only. Residents of private roads should make their own arrangements for leaf collection.
- Residents with proper permit may also dispose of leaves at the Town of Darien Transfer Station.
The above schedule is subject to minor variations due to the volume of leaves encountered, snow storms, or other unforeseen circumstance. No other information will be available regarding specific leaf pick-up times. Please be patient.
For information, call 656-7346 or visit us on line at www.darienct.gov [Editor’s note: So far, nothing appears to be posted on the town government website about leaf pickups this year, but that may change. You can visit the DPW page, or the Recycling Center page, but we only expect to see the notice published here eventually posted there].
The Darien DPW wants some residents to put their leaves out on Halloween Day? And then leave them there (because not all bags may be picked up that day) when Halloween trick-or-treaters can stumble over them at night or when mischief-makers can knock over the bags and spread the leaves around? Really?? One or two days later would have made a huge difference?
We think starting on that date is a bad idea and we hope town officials will avoid it in the future.
Editor’s note: This article originally was published on Sept. 13. The time stamp has been changed to put the link back on the home page.