The Corbin District and SIPSTIRS are pleased to co-sponsor our first virtual wine tasting to benefit Corbin Cares. A donation to Corbin Cares is suggested, but not required to participate.
— an announcement from Corbin Cares
- Corbin Cares is a charity launched in town to have deliveries of breakfasts, boxed lunches and dinners to seniors and others in need during the COVID-19 epidemic. The effort, which can always use contributions, is a collaboration between nonprofits, local businesses and town government departments.
- Darien seniors and others identified by the town Human Services Department are eligible to participate, as well as others in need in surrounding communities.
Join us at 5 p.m., Thursday, April 23 for an exciting “virtual” wine tasting hosted by Tyler Colman. The only cost of the event is the wines themselves.
We will focus on Santa Barbara, the cutting-edge California region, with two limited wines, the Sandhi Santa Barbara Chardonnay 2018 and the Piedrasassi PS Syrah 2018.
These limited gems are available at Sipstirs through pre-order for pickup.
—YOU MUST PRE-ORDER YOUR WINE BY CALLING SIPSTIRS AT (203) 656-9463 BEFORE TUESDAY, APRIL 21, AT 12 NOON.
Also part of the event: cheese tasting with a specially selected cheese picked by Ken Skovron of Darien Cheese Shop and a baguette from Sono Baking. You’ll need to call all three shops by 12 noon on Tuesday to pre-order.
— Darien Cheese & Fine Foods: (203) 655-4344 — Goodwives Shopping Center, 25 Old Kings Hwy. North
— Sono Baking Co.: (203) 309-5401 — 49 Tokeneke Road
The cost of this wine is $45 for both bottles.
Future wine tastings will be at different price points, higher and lower.
Tyler Colman writes, talks and teaches about wine. His lively commentary and wine recommendations have attracted a significant following and his writing has set the agenda on crucial topics and earned him a nomination for a James Beard foundation award. Colman, who writes online under the pen name Dr. Vino, is a real doctor — he doesn’t just play one on the Internet.
He wrote his doctoral dissertation at Northwestern University on the political economy of the wine industry that served as the basis of his first book, Wine Politics: How Governments, Environmentalists, Mobsters and Critics Influence the Wines We Drink.
His second book is chock-a-block with wine recommendations, plotted to the seasons. He taught wine classes for ten years at NYU and five years at the University of Chicago.
In print, Colman’s wine writing has appeared in The New York Times, Food & Wine, Wine & Spirits, Wine Business Monthly, Bicycling magazine, The World of Fine Wine, and The Oxford Companion to Wine.
He currently advises clients on wine collections and conducts private events. He also oversees the razor-sharp wine list at Parlor Pizza in Wilton.
Our very special guest will be Raj Parr, the acclaimed former sommelier, who currently makes the wines at Sandhi and Domaine de la Cote. He has co-authored two wine books and was honored as a “Who’s Who, Food & Beverage” in 2017 by the James Beard Foundation.
If You Can Donate …
- Donations of $5 will provide breakfast, $15 will buy a boxed lunch and $20 will supply a healthy dinner.
- Tax-deductible contributions can be made online through Corbin Cares.
- Donations to Corbin Cares will be managed by The Community Fund of Darien, a 501(c)3, to provide tax documentation for donors. Donations will be 100% tax deductible.