- This event has passed.
All-Day Conference for Parents of Kids with Learning Disabilities
November 3 @ 8:30 am - 3:00 pm$15 – $50
Experts in numerous workshops will share advice for parents to help their children succeed, despite learning disabilities and ADHD at the “Rising to the Challenge” fall conference in Norwalk.
The keynote address, “LD/ADHD/Executive Skills – What’s the Connection” will be given by Dr. Peg Dawson, best-selling author of the Smart But Scattered series of books.
In addition, there will be 11 break-out sessions covering dyslexia, parent stress, and working with the school.
The sessions will be in tracks, with various simultaneous presentations for parents of middle school and high school students and a separate track for students in high school.
The event is sponsored by the Fairfield County group Smart Kids with Learning Disabilities.
The cost of the conference is $50 per adult [that’s $53.55 including online fee] and $15 per youth, ages 11 to 17 [that’s $16.78 with the fee]. Registration ends on Nov. 1.
Exhibitors available throughout the day.
8:30 a.m. — Registration open, continental breakfast
9 a.m. — Welcome Remarks from Jane Ross, Executive Director, SKLD
9:15 a.m. — Keynote Speaker, Dr. Peg Dawson, author of the Smart But Scattered series, “LD/ADHD/Executive Skills – What’s the Connection”
10:15 a.m. — Break Out Session I
- Peg Dawson, Ed.D. “Self-Regulated Learners: Helping Kids Grow Their Own Executive Skills“
- Elizabeth Jorgensen, CADC, “What’s Going On With Your Teenager“
- Youth Session: “Mindful Movement“
11:15 a.m. — Break Out Session II
- Dave Sylvestro, M.A. “LD – It’s More Than Academics“
- Marcia Eckerd, Ph.D. “A Working Guide to Your Child with Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities“
- Christopher Bogart, Ph.D. “How to Interpret Your Child’s Evaluation”
- Youth Session: Elizabeth Jorgensen, “What’s Going On With Your Parents“
12 noon — Lunch
1 p.m — Break Out Session III
- Bo Zamfir, Ed.D. “Assistive Technology for Students with LD and ADHD“
- Jill Chuckas, M.S.W., “How to Talk So Your Child’s School Will Listen“
- Cindy Keefe, Psy.D. “Managing Parent Stress“
- Youth Session: Rebecca Strang “No Parents Allowed“
2 p.m — Youth Panel: “LD and ADHD from the Student’s Perspective”
High school students with learning disabilities and ADHD discuss their challenges to give parents an inside view of LD and ADHD. Moderated by Rebecca Strang.