Update 1:52 p.m. — Darien Farmers Market opened Wednesday morning without a large number of shoppers visiting — so they got a great selection on a variety of Connecticut-grown and -made items.
Organic vegetables were on sale from Roxbury Farm, Mill Pond Essentials had a banner advertising its “Natural Tick Repellent,” and there were stands from Gazy Brothers Farm of Oxford (vegetables, herbs, flowers, and plants), Newgate Farm of Windsor (small fruits and berries, greenhouse, cut flowers, and baked goods) Ox Hollow Farm in Roxbury (hormone and antibiotic-free, pasture-raised Angus beef, pork and poultry) Smith’s Acres of Niantic, Whistle Stop Bakery of Ridgefield (baked goods prepared using local ingredients when possible), Wave Hill Bread of Norwalk (artisanal breads and pastries, made with organic and whole grain ingredients).
Original headline: New Hours at Darien’s Wednesday Farmers Market for 2019, Starting June 5
The Darien Farmers’ Market opens for 2019 this Wednesday, June 5 with new hours at Goodwives Shopping Center parking lot.
The market will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (a change from the previous 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.) in the shopping center parking lot at 25 Old King’s Highway North, according to a town government announcement.
The market will be open every Wednesday through Nov. 27, the day before Thanksgiving. Vegetables and fruit will be offered, of course, along with flowers, meat, bread, baked goods and more.
This list of vendors, where they’re from and what you can buy from them is from the Darien Farmers Market website, but it doesn’t appear to be updated from last year (it has the old hours on the same Web page, for instance). Nevertheless, this will give you an idea:
- Blue Slope Farm (Franklin): Local cow & goat milk, meat, maple syrup
- Gazy Brothers Farm (Oxford): vegetables, herbs, flowers, and plants
- Newgate Farm (Windsor): small fruits and berries, greenhouse, cut flowers, and baked goods
- Ox Hollow Farm (Roxbury): hormone and antibiotic-free, pasture-raised Angus beef, pork and poultry
- Riverbank Farm (Roxbury): Bay State Certified Organic vegetables, herbs, fruit, flowers and prepared foods, and seedlings
- Smith’s Acres (Niantic):
- Whistle Stop Bakery (Ridgefield): Baked goods prepared using local ingredients when possible
- Wave Hill Bread (Norwalk): Artisanal breads and pastries, made with organic and whole grain ingredients
- Woodland Farm (South Glastonbury, CT): Apples, pears, berries and other seasonal fruit
Here’s the state Department of Agriculture crop availability calendar for Connecticut crops: