Enjoy a unique water view of municipal holiday displays — times two, thanks to reflections on the surface — and avoid the crowds and traffic aboard Fireworks Cruises with The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk.
The Aquarium is offering outings to four fireworks displays aboard its R/V Spirit of the Sound, the country’s only research vessel with quiet “green” hybrid-electric propulsion. The 64-foot catamaran has two deck levels for optimum viewing enjoyment.
“The Fireworks Cruises give participants special, easy access to the local displays,” said Dave Sigworth, the Aquarium’s spokesman.
“You won’t have to lug lawn chairs along. There won’t be trees in your way. You won’t have to sit in your car for an hour afterward. Instead, you’ll enjoy a beautiful relaxing ride out on Long Island Sound, perhaps a great sunset, and then an incredible view of the Fourth of July fireworks.”
— an announcement from the Maritime Aquarium
Here’s the Aquarium’s patriotic-pyrotechnics plan, with fireworks viewing at sea:
• Thursday, June 30 — Westport’s Compo Beach display
• Saturday, July 2 — Fairfield’s Penfield/Jennings Beach display
• Friday, July 1 — Stamford’s Cummings Beach display
• Sunday, July 3 — Norwalk’s Calf Pasture Beach display
Each cruise departs at 7 p.m. from The Maritime Aquarium dock (outside the IMAX Theater). Return is expected by 11 p.m.
Food in small soft-sided coolers is allowed aboard the boat, but alcoholic beverages and glass bottles are prohibited.
Tickets are $50 per person. All participants must be at least 42 inches tall to board. Those under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
R/V Spirit of the Sound has a climate-controlled cabin but participants should dress for time outside on deck, where the best viewing occurs. There is a restroom onboard.
Capacity is limited so advance reservations are strongly suggested. Reserve your tickets online — and see the full summer schedule for public cruises aboard R/V Spirit of the Sound — at the Maritime Aquarium website or call (203) 852-0700, ext. 2206.
— See also:
- For July 2 Darien Fireworks, Get a Parking Pass Soon — and Here’s More Info
- Get Your Kids Ready: Darien/Norwalk Push-n-Pull Parade Continues July 4 Tradition
- Here’s what the Push-n-Pull Parade looked like last year
- Police: Various Downtown Darien Streets to Close July 4 from 10:30 AM Till Push-n-Pull Parade Ends
Correction: The Maritime Aquarium’s original announcement was incorrect about the dates of Stamford’s and Norwalk’s fireworks. The corrected dates and days are now in the announcement (as of 5:01 p.m., Monday, June 27).