Darien Health Department inspectors examined 11 different food-serving locations recently, giving seven of them “A” ratings and four others “B” ratings. None were given the lowest grade of “C.”
Details about the towns rating system for restaurants and other food serving establishments are at the bottom of this article, and you can find an article about the ratings system here.
Most recent inspection results
In the list of health inspection results, below, information is listed by name, address, date of inspection, Darien rating, state score, inspector’s comments that led to the state rating and additional remarks on the inspection report.
Dates link to the food establishment’s inspection report referenced here (when available, sometimes it takes a while to get posted online), and Darien’s own A/B/C ratings link to a Web page showing several of the restaurant’s recent inspection ratings.
- Our previous article showing restaurant inspection ratings (April 17)
- Darien Health Department Starts Letter Grades for Food Service Inspections
For restaurants and other food-serving establishments rated “C,” and for some others of interest to the public (like schools) additional information is given. When we provide that information here, then words within brackets (“[ ]”) have been added for clarity by Darienite.com; semicolons like this (“;”) separate individual comments, each one with a particular violation that triggers a point deduction from that perfect state score of 100 points.
Here’s an alphabetical list of the most recently released results of Darien health inspections (keep in mind that a food-serving establishment with a history of good ratings may occasionally get a poor inspection rating, occasionally the best do, and every restaurant normally gets a few things wrong):
- Aux Delices — 25 Old Kings Hwy. North — April 17 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 94
- Bertucci’s Kitchen, Bar — 54 Post Road — April 19 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 94
- Bodega Taco Bar — 980 Post Road — April 18 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 92
- Chipotle Mexican Grill — 71 Post Road — April 20 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 97
- Coromanel Cuisine of India — 25 Old Kings Hwy. North — April 17 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 93
- Darien Diner — 275 Post Road — April 19 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 91
- Maplewood Senior Living — 599 Post Road — April 20 — Town Rating A — State Score: 96
- Papa Joe’s — 1973 Post Road — April 17 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 90
- Rory’s — 416 Post Road — April 19 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 93
- Wee Burn Country Club (main kitchen) — 410 Hollow Tree Ridge Road — April 19 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 89
- Wee Burn Country Club (satellite kitchen) — 410 Hollow Tree Ridge Road — April 19 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 93
How Darien’s restaurants are now rated
Restaurants in town are rated under the Darien Health Department’s own A/B/C ratings system. Health inspectors also use the state health code regulations to score restaurants, with a perfect score set at 100, and demerits (of 1 to 4 points each) for various code violations.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com weekday newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
The Darien system takes into account problems that are ongoing, so a restaurant scoring higher than others on the state scale may actually get a lower score on the Darien scale.
You can find the past several inspection ratings under the Darien ratings system for food-serving establishments on this website, and now you can also find copies of inspection reports, including state health code scores in the same place.
Any establishment actually deemed unsafe can be closed by the town Health Department until violations are fixed. Town Health Director David Knauf says that has never happened in the time he’s been with the department.