Darien senior citizens and/or disabled residents who are renters may be eligible for a rent rebate from the State of Connecticut for the year 2017.
— an announcement from Darien Human Services Department
The program begins on April 1, 2018 and will continue through September 30, 2018. The Darien Human Services Department will begin accepting applications on Monday, April 2, 2018.
Eligibility requirements are:
1. Must be 65 years of age as of December 31, 2017 or disabled and collecting Social Security Disability payments.
2. One year or more residency in Connecticut.
3. Income must not exceed $35,300 for a single person or $43,000 for a married couple.
4. Disabled persons under age 65 must show proof of Social Security Disability.
5. If you filed a 2017 income tax return, a copy is required.
6. Proof of income includes:
—Social Security (Form 1099)
—Interest on bank accounts
Proof of rent and utility payments is required for every month you were renting. A printout from the utility company, receipt of rent payment from your landlord, and canceled checks are acceptable.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call Darien Human Services at 203-656-7328.
The Department is located in Room 109 at Town Hall and is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.