You and your kids can mark the end of the year — including a countdown to 12 o’clock noon — with special family fun on Monday, Dec. 31 at The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk.
The Aquarium is planning fun midday activities for families with young children celebrate the end of 2018 together, but not at the stroke of midnight.
— an announcement from the Maritime Aquarium
From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., a disc jockey will provide the beat, as well as a countdown to 12 o’clock; 12 o’clock noon, that is.
“‘Noon Year’s Eve’ gives parents the chance to count down to a celebration with their children, but without the kids needing to stay up way past their bedtimes to do so,” said Aquarium spokesman Dave Sigworth.
Special guests on Dec. 31 include:
• strolling street magic by The Great Dubini — Using cards, coins and borrowed objects, New York-based magician Gregory Dubin will perform amazing sleight-of-hand magic and mentalism.
• “bubble-ologist” Kim Winslow — Winslow developed his skills with bubbles as a member of the Big Apple Circus Clown Care Unit, which entertains patients in hospitals in New York and around the world. Simple soap and water become delicate kinetic sculptures that spin, glide, bounce and move in ways that will delight.
• strolling family comedy and juggling by Peter Straus — Straus has toured America as a clown with Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus and worked extensively with the Big Apple Circus. He also has had numerous appearances on TV, including several spots on “The Late Show with David Letterman,” and has been a featured comedian and fire juggler at New York’s Metropolitan Opera.
If You’re Going …
- Admission to The Maritime Aquarium is $24.95 for adults, $22.95 for seniors (65+), and $17.95 for children 3-12. Kids under 3, and Maritime Aquarium members, are free.
- Admission includes a choice of a spectacular IMAX movie, shown on a six-story screen: “Oceans: Our Blue Planet” at 11 a.m. and 2 & 4 p.m.; “Backyard Wilderness” at noon; and “Pandas” at 1 p.m.
Can’t make it to the Aquarium on Dec. 31? The Maritime Aquarium is open on New Year’s Day with regular hours of 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Get more details about all exhibits, programs, IMAX movies and special events at the Maritime Aquarium website.