Darien Public Schools are closing early Friday because of the day’s weather, the school district has announced. Some other closings in town and just beyond have also been announced (see updates, below).
According to an announcement emailed to parents at about 11:30 a.m.:
- Darien Public Schools will be dismissing early today due to the high winds, excessive rain and the possibility of flooding and snow. All after-school activities scheduled for today are cancelled and or will be rescheduled for a later date.
Here are the dismissal times for individual schools:
- Darien High School will dismiss at 1:20 p.m.
- Middlesex Middle School will dismiss at 1:30 p.m.
- Hindley, Royle, and Tokeneke will dismiss at 2:00 p.m.
- Holmes and Ox Ridge will dismiss at 2:25 p.m.
11:50 a.m. — New Canaan Country School is also closing early, according to WVIT-TV
11:53 a.m. — Schools Superintendent Dan Brenner tweeted at 11:41 a.m.: “Darien PS dismissing one hour early due to high winds, excessive rain, possible flooding and potential for accumulating snow. All after school activities are canceled.”
12:17 p.m. — The Darien YMCA is closing early at 6:15 p.m. Here’s an announcement the Y just emailed: “The Darien Y will be closing at 6:15 p.m. today due to hazardous weather conditions. Holly Pond School will be on a regular schedule however, Kids Club is cancelled. We plan to open at 7 a.m. tomorrow but please call the Y or check our website in the event that circumstances change.: