Here’s what’s closing for Wednesday’s snowstorm, what services are changing as a result of the storm and, perhaps — if we find it unusual enough — what’s staying 0pen, with the latest news listed first:
UPDATES (latest is first):
—2:46 p.m. — Darien Imaging Center is closed for the day, Stamford Hospital announced on Twitter. So are the ones at Long Ridge, Greenwich, Summer Street, Wilton and Chelsea Piers.
—2:19 p.m. — Darien Arts Center, from an emailed announcement: “All dance classes after 3 p.m. have been cancelled. All visual arts classes have been cancelled. For music lessons please contact Juanita Bosee at email@example.com”
—11:45 a.m. — The Darien Community Association is closed.
—11:44 a.m. — YWCA Darien/Norwalk closed at 11 a.m.
—11:43 a.m. — Blue Wave Taco is closed.
—11:42 a.m. — Stamford Museum & Nature Center is open today, although Stamford police closing part of Newfield Avenue earlier today might give you pause. “The SM&NC buildings and grounds will be open as usual today, with the exception of our Heckscher WILD! exhibit, which will be closed today.”
—11:36 a.m. — Silvermine School of Art is closed.
—11:35 a.m.: Closed in Stamford: Connecticut Passport Agency, UConn-Stamford, University of Bridgeport-Stamford campus (at 12 noon).
—11:32 a.m.: Closed in Norwalk: Ability Beyond office, Karate Universe, Massage & Fitness, The Children’s Playhouse.
—11:29 a.m.: First County Bank in Darien and elsewhere close at 1 p.m.: “[A]ll First County Bank branches and offices will close at 1 p.m., Wednesday, March 21, 2018 due to inclement weather. For your convenience, online banking and our ATM network are available for everyday transactions.”
—11:26 a.m.: Stamford Health Medical Group offices and Walk-in Center close at 12 noon.
—11:15 a.m.: We’re no experts, and it certainly doesn’t look bad so far, but that Eversource outage map for the state looks ominous for Darien. Just ominous:
—11:13 a.m.: Bar Method Darien is canceling classes: “Snow update: we are canceling the 12:15pm, 5:45pm and 7pm classes today for everyone’s safety.”
— as of 11:11 a.m., Wednesday:
——Darien YMCA will close at noon: “The Darien Y is open 9-12pm only today. No afternoon HPS, Lunch Bunch, afternoon Holly Care or Kids Club. Youth programs start at 9 and end at 12. Please continue to check our website and voicemail for updates”
——Person-to-Person will close at noon: “Please call 2-1-1 for referral to other emergency services.”
——The LaGuardia Airport account on Twitter announced at 10:38 a.m.: “
#LGA expects airlines to cancel all flights after Noon today due to the Nor’easter affecting the region. We urge customers to check with their airline to confirm their flight before traveling to LGA. Please contact your carrier for more details on rebooking cancelled flights.”
——New Canaan Library is closing at 1 p.m.
— 11:20 p.m., Tuesday: Avon Theater — closed
— 9:57 p.m., Tuesday: Browne & Co. — closed
— 9:14 p.m., Tuesday: Darien YMCA‘s current plan (as of this announcement emailed at 9:06 p.m.) will open late, at 9 a.m. Here’s the announcement: “Our current plan is to open late – at 9am – on Wednesday, March 21. However, if the morning weather deteriorates, we will remain closed until further notice. Check our website www.darien-ymca.org and voicemail at 203-655-8228 before you come to the Darien Y.
[Information not about the New Haven Line has been removed]
- On Wednesday, March 21, Metro-North will operate a reduced weekday schedule with some combined/cancelled trains during peak periods. Conditions are expected to deteriorate rapidly during the day, making travel extremely difficult or even impossible.
- Please travel only if necessary.
- In the evening, Metro-North plans to further reduce its service to hourly to ensure customer safety during the storm. For those customers who are unable to postpone their travel until after the storm, please leave as early as possible in the afternoon and leave extra time to reach your destination.
- Customers should anticipate delays due to the effects of the winter storm throughout our service territory.
- Should storm conditions worsen during the day and impact our ability to safely operate trains, Metro-North may be forced to suspend service with little advance notice. Hudson Rail Link may also be suspended as conditions worsen. Please continue to monitor this [Web] page or Metro-North’s social media [Twitter — Facebook] for updates. […] Please exercise caution getting to and from our stations and on our stairways and platforms, and listen for announcements.
—Bruce Museum in Greenwich — closed. “The Wednesday Films: The Great War, Parts I and II have been rescheduled for March 28 and April 4, 2018.” Follow the link for more details.
—Bar Method Darien — announcement on Instagram: “Check back here (or our app) for updates on tomorrow’s class schedule! As of now, the 6am is ON! We will make decisions about the rest of the day’s classes at least two hours before class is scheduled to start.”
—The Forum on Opioids in Darien — postponed: Organizers “will finalize a new date with the Library ASAP,” according to an announcement from the Community Fund of Darien’s Thriving Youth Program (the event was scheduled to be held in Darien Library, which will be closed Wednesday)
—Darien Library — closed