Police: With a Teenage Girl Reportedly Unconscious, a Friend’s Parent Drives Her Home But Barely Cooperates With Cops

Download PDF

A Darien woman dropped off one of her daughter’s 16-year-old friends — reportedly unconscious after drinking — at the friend’s home sometime past midnight on Sunday, according to police.

The intoxicated girl’s condition caused her parents to call 911, and a Darien EMS-Post 53 ambulance took the girl to a hospital for evaluation. Police, who also went to the scene, said they later questioned the Darien woman, Amanda Smith, 45, of Gardner Street.

Police said: Smith initially said she didn’t know where she’d picked up the intoxicated girl and her friends, then wouldn’t let police talk to her own daughter, then said she’d picked up the girls on Sunswyck Road, but she refused to go with police to help them locate the house where the teenagers were at.

Smith was charged with interfering with an investigation, a misdemeanor, and was told to report May 23 to state Superior Court in Stamford. Police received the initial call at 1:11 a.m., Sunday, May 12.

Here’s the account by police in the words of the police announcement itself, which contains accusations not proven in court (we’ve left out Smith’s birth date, replacing it with her age, but included everything else):

Incident # 2019-006188

Blotter Date/Time 05/12/2019 0111hrs

Location: 26 Gardiner St.

Arrested: Amanda Smith

[Age: 45]

26 Gardiner St. Darien, CT 06820

Charges: 53a-167a: Interfering with an Investigation

Officers were dispatched to a residence in Darien for the report of an extremely intoxicated 16 year old female who was reported as being unconscious. Post 53 responded, transporting the female to the hospital for evaluation.

The mother of the female told officers that she had been dropped off at their residence in that condition by the parent of her daughter’s friend, Amanda Smith.

In an attempt to ascertain the location from which the female came, to ensure there were no juveniles in similar conditions, officers made contact with Amanda Smith at her home. When asked, Smith informed officers that she was unaware of where the four girls she picked up had been.

Smith initially wouldn’t allow officers to speak with her daughter, but ultimately allowed it after officers explained the possibility of more juveniles being in need of medical assistance.

The girls were unwilling to disclose the location. When Smith was asked a second time where the girls were picked up, she told officers it had been on the side of Sunswyck Road.

Smith further refused to accompany officers to the area in an attempt to locate the residence. The juveniles were turned over the custody of their parents, at which time one of the parents gave officers the location of the residence.

Once at the residence, it was confirmed that the girls had been there earlier in the evening. There was no evidence of alcohol at the residence, nor intoxicated youth.

The parties on scene explained that when the intoxicated female became incapacitated, one of the people present contacted Amanda Smith. Smith responded to the residence, pulled into the driveway, assisted in carrying the unconscious teen to her vehicle, and departed. The parties on scene told officers that the attendees are all friends.

It was determined that officers had been delayed almost an hour since initially contacting Smith due to her refusal to cooperate. It was also determined that Smith had been deceptive in regards to the events of the evening and her participation in those events. Smith was issued a misdemeanor summons charging her with the above offense. She was released on a written promise to appear and is due in court on May 23.

This incident is still under investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *