The Darien Department of Public Works announced Wednesday that it will conduct special bulk pickups of household items water damaged by the recent Storm Ida.
To get the pickups, you’ll have to register first. The pickups start on Sept.11, and registration for pickups must be done by 5 p.m., Monday, Sept. 13.
The pickups are limited to furniture and items damaged by stormwater, along with gypsum board, sheetrock and drywall (if those last three items are in bags or boxed).
The collection is a “one-time event to assist residents that sustained water damage inside their homes and will not return once pickup has been completed.Pickups are subject to the following conditions,” the announcement said.
Here’s the rest of the announcement from the Darien Department of Public Works:
—Register for pickup through q-alert system [see below] or direct phone call (203-656-7346);
—Requests must be received before 5 p.m., Monday Sept 13.
—Requests received after this time will not be considered.
—Pickups will be only on public roads. No private road pickups.
—Bulk pickup will be limited to water damaged items such as furniture, carpets, and equipment.
—We will accept water damaged drywall (gypsum board, sheetrock or wall board) if placed in bags or boxed. No loose material will be collected.
—No brush, yard debris, or other exterior material will be collected.
—Once registered, material must placed at the edge of the public road by 7 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021, or at time of registration up to 5 p.m., Monday, September 13, 2021.
—Pickups will be addressed in the order they are received, however they must be registered, and must be material left out for collection, as described above. We cannot guarantee when we will arrive to remove debris. If DPW does not complete collections on Saturday or Monday, collections will continue until completed.
—Other usual bulk pickup restrictions also apply. The following items will not be accepted: hazardous waste; sealed containers or barrels; liquid wastes and paint (paint disposal at transfer station); propane tanks, fire extinguishers or other pressure vessels; pathological or medical waste; logs; stumps; leaves; grass clippings; brush; batteries, etc.
—Refrigerators, dehumidifiers, and air conditioners require a refrigerant sticker which may be purchased in advance for a fee of $15, at the Department of Public Works Office in Town Hall (2 Renshaw Road) or at the scale house (126 Ledge Road), If purchasing the refrigerant sticker at the scale house, please bring exact change. Please remove refrigerator doors for safety and affix sticker onto device.
How to Use the QAlert System
Residents are urged to utilize the Town’s website and QAlert system to register pickup using “Google Chrome” if possible. Go to www.DarienCT.Gov, click on citizen service requests on the home page, follow prompts and fill in the blanks. Detailed instructions are:
1. Enter town website (www.darienct.gov) and click on citizen service requestsicon.
2. Enter your address where prompted.
3. Click “Next.”
4. In type of issue, select “Bulk Pickup Appointment”.
5. Requested pickup under “Bulk Pickup Date Request”. Select 9/09/21 thru 9/13/21 based on date ofregistration and have material ready for collection on 9/11/21 (or 9/13/21 if registering after 9/10/21).
6. In comments section you may write anything that you would like to convey to the DPW regarding your pickup.
7. Click “Next.”
8. Fill in your first and last name and email address and phone number.
9. Click on “Create Request”.
10. If you are unable to enter your information, you must use “Google Chrome”. If you are using an Internet Explorer browser, please enter your address along with your comments (Step 6, above).
11. Please make sure that you receive an email confirming registration.
Residents without email access or with any questions should contact the Department of Public Works office directly at 203-656-7346. We will be happy to assist you by phone. Thank you!