Darien Public Schools announced a two-hour delay Tuesday morning, the district announced.
Here’s the announcement on the district’s website:
- Darien Public Schools will have a 2 hour delay, Tuesday, December 3rd. Elementary Parent Conferences scheduled for this afternoon will be cancelled and moved to a later date. Drive Safe!
The district has a description of why delays in opening school are made and advice for parents when that happens. Here’s part of it, from this Web page on the district website:
- The decision to have a TWO HOUR delayed opening is based upon the available information that travel and weather conditions are expected to sufficiently improve to open schools. However, parents should continue listening to designated radio and TV stations following the announcement of a delayed opening. If travel conditions do not improve or if they worsen, the delayed opening may be changed to a full day closing. Any such change will be communicated via the media and website sources.
Anyone can get the district’s school closing announcements directly in phone texts, according to the same Web page:
- If schools must be cancelled [or delayed] due to weather-related emergencies, the decision will be made no later than 5:30 a.m. You can expect the announcement of the cancellation within a half hour on radio and TV stations, as well as on our website.
- SchoolMessenger is a service which provides e-mail, voice, and text communication to the community. Information can be found at www.SchoolMessenger.com/tm You will be contacted by SchoolMessenger by e-mail and phone using the information provided by you in your Aspen account.
- However to receive text messaging from SchoolMessenger, you must opt in for this service.
Here’s the National Weather Service forecast (as of 5:56 a.m.) for Tuesday in Darien: