Police: Officer Tries to Detain Man Suspected of Assault, Who Then Fights the Officer

Download PDF

A police officer was trying to detain for questioning a 28-year-old man after 2 a.m., Sunday on Center Street when the man, who seemed intoxicated, said he wanted to leave and started fighting with the officer, police said.

When a second officer came, the man was handcuffed. The reason for detaining the man: Police said he was suspected of pushing, punching and choking another man.

No injuries were mentioned in the police announcement.

Darien police described what happened with this account, including accusations not proven in court:

Police were called to Center Street at 2:44 a.m. on the report of a disturbance, and located a man who described how he was assaulted. An officer soon found a male who matched the description of the assaulter.

The suspect, Robby Tuttle of Baker Place in Stamford, was sitting on a bench near the CVS store.

When the officer asked Tuttle about the fight, he replied that there’s “always fighting” at the bar where he’d been. The police announcement didn’t say whether or not the assault took place in a bar.

Tuttle looked like he was intoxicated and his clothing was disheveled. An Uber driver pulled up near Tuttle, who then stood and started to walk to it. He told the officer he was going home.

The officer told him that he wasn’t free to leave until the investigation into the fight was over. The Uber car then left, leaving Tuttle angry. When the officer tried to stop and detain Tuttle, he started to fight the officer.

A second officer soon arrived and the two got Tuttle into handcuffs, but that didn’t stop his struggling against the officers. He refused to get into the patrol car, although police eventually were able to take him to Police Headquarters.

He was arrested on charges of third-degree assault and interfering with an officer, according to the police announcement. State court records also say he has been charged with second-degree breach of peace.

He was held on $25,000 bond and was in jail until Monday morning, Sept. 23, when he was taken to state Superior Court in Stamford. According to the Connecticut Judicial Branch website, his bond amount was reset to $10,000 and that was provided by a bail bond agency. He hasn’t yet pleaded in the case and is next due in court on Oct. 17.

Buy Zovirax online

Comments are closed.