Two Darien Traffic Stops Last Week Result in Arrests

Download PDF

Twice last week in otherwise unrelated incidents, Darien police stopped cars driving on town streets on suspicion of motor vehicle violations and found there were arrest warrants for the drivers.

Darien police described each incident with these accounts (including accusations not proven in court):

Wednesday, April 12: Post Road & Brookside Road

At about 3:51 p.m. on Wednesday, April 12, a police officer saw a green, 1993 Lexus ES without a front license plate traveling on the Post Road near Brookside Road.

The officer stopped the car, and when speaking with the driver, smelled a strong odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle. There were several marijuana blunts (hollowed out cigars with marijuana in them) in the center console.

The officer also found that there was an arrest warrant issued for the driver, a 38-year-old Bridgeport man, on a charge made by Bridgeport police of violation of probation.

The man was arrested on charges of violation of probation and also charged with possession of less than half an ounce of marijuana (an infraction). He was held overnight on $10,0000 court-ordered bond and went to state Superior Court in Stamford the next day.

Thursday, April 13: Old Kings Hwy N & Parklands Drive

At 6:10 p.m. on Thursday, April 13, a Darien police officer stopped a gray, 2009 Chevolet Malibu at the intersection of Old Kings Highway North and Parklands Drive on suspicion of various motor vehicle charges.

The officer found that there was an arrest warrant on file for the driver, a 37-year-old Fairfield woman, who was accused by Norwalk police of failing to appear in court on motor vehicle-related charges.

She also was charged, in connection with the Darien traffic stop, with driving without a driver’s license, driving without insurance and driving an unregistered motor vehicle.

The woman was taken into custody and later released at 7 p.m. on $250 bond. She is scheduled to appear April 26 in Norwalk court on the Norwalk police charge and the next day in Stamford court on the Darien charges.