Two Darien food-serving establishments received the lowest town rating of “C” among the inspection reports released in the past month by Darien Health Department.
One of the two worst-rated, Matsuri Grill at 390 Post Road, has had the lowest (“C”) rating in five of the last six inspections. The last time it had a higher rating (“B”) was in February. Health inspectors made more frequent visits to the establishment in the last two months: coming twice in May and again this month.
Details from the worst-rated eateries (along with an inspection of the kitchen for the Darien Senior Center) and links to the latest information posted about each of the food-serving establishments inspected are listed below, and you can find an article about the ratings system here.
Most recent inspection results
In the list of health inspection results, below, information is listed by name, address, date of inspection, Darien rating, state score, inspector’s comments that led to the state rating and additional remarks on the inspection report.
Dates link to the food establishment’s inspection report referenced here (when available, sometimes it takes a while to get posted online), and Darien’s own A/B/C ratings link to a Web page showing several of the restaurant’s recent inspection ratings.
- Our previous article showing restaurant inspection ratings (May 12)
- Darien Health Department Starts Letter Grades for Food Service Inspections
For restaurants and other food-serving establishments rated “C,” and for some others of interest to the public (like schools) additional information is given. When we provide that information here, then words within brackets (“[ ]”) have been added for clarity by Darienite.com; semicolons like this (“;”) separate individual comments, each one with a particular violation that triggers a point deduction from that perfect state score of 100 points.
Here’s an alphabetical list of the most recently released results of Darien health inspections (keep in mind that a food-serving establishment with a history of good ratings may occasionally get a poor inspection rating, occasionally the best do, and every restaurant normally gets a few things wrong):
- Abello’s Deli/Mangia — 72 Tokeneke Road — May 26 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 88
- Burgers Shakes and Fries — 800 Post Road — May 15 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 92
- Burgers Shakes & Fries — 800 Post Road — June 1 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 96
- Cesco’s Trattoria — 25 Old King’s Hwy. N. — June 7 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 93
- Country Club of Darien — 300 Mansfield Ave. — May 23 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 94
- Country Club of Darien Satellite Kitchen — 300 Mansfield Ave. — May 23 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 93
- Darien Doughnut — 370 Heights Road — May 25 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 96
- Darien Seafood Market — 1941 Post Road — May 31 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 94
- Heights Pizza — 330 Heights Road — June 5 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 94
- Hibachi Sushi Ya — 111 Old Kings Hwy. North — May 16 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 87
- Jimmy’s Southside Tavern — 340 Heights Road — May 25 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 92
- Little Thai Kitchen — 4 West Ave. — May 17 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 97
- Mather Center: Darien Senior Program — 2 Renshaw Road — June 1 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 98 — Inspector’s Remarks: “Misuse of pre-sink (rinsing utensil).” — Inspector’s Comments: “LOOKS Great!”
- Matsuri Grill — 390 Post Road — June 9 — Town Rating: C — State Score: 85 — Inspector’s Remarks: “Raw fish stored over RTW in walk-in [cooler]; bare hand upon entry (sushi area); sushi chef rinsing knife in hand sink; sanitizer in bucket not correct in sushi area and sanitizer on the line not strong enough (bleach); dish [washing] machine NOT pulling bleach at correct strength. MUST fix today! (and notify Health Department once serviced/repaired); Not sanitizing cutting board at three-bay, only washing with soap; wiping cloths left on counters (twice) sushi prep area; knives in storage rack unclean in main kitchen; cups used to dispense bulk food items in dry storage area (no handle); cardboard used to cover shelving in walk-in [cooler] and foil used to cover surfaces on equipment; unclean under grill: food debris; hood dripping.” Inspector’s Comments: “Must provide a contract from the outside training service required by the director of health today! Some improvement in hand washing observed by staff. Prep sink will be fixed per manager. Shellfish tags maintained, some minor improvements. Employee training MUST be a priority!!! Including PT [part-time] employees (two new sushi chefs: no documented training). CL soap added to machine and started to pull bleach prior to leaving inspection.”
- McDonald’s restaurant — Darien South rest stop on Interstate 95 — May 15 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 97
- The Melting Pot — 14 Grove St. — June 2 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 93
- Palmer’s Market — 264 Heights Road — May 22 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 88
- Scena Wine Bar & Restaurant — 1077 Post Road — June 7 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 91
- Sono Baking Company — 49 Tokeneke Road — May 17 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 99
- Stop & Shop — 148 Heights Road — June 12 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 94
- Sugar Bowl — 1033 Post Road — June 5 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 96
- Sushi by Jay at Stop & Shop — Goodwives Shopping Center at 25 Old Kings Hwy. N. — June 12 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 96
- Ten Twenty Post Oyster Bar and Bistro — 1020 Post Road — June 5 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 91
- Tengda Asian Bistro — Goodwives Shopping Center at 25 Old Kings Hwy. N. — May 22 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 90
- Tokeneke Club main kitchen — 4 Butler’s Island Road — May 18 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 95
- Tokeneke Club snack bar — 4 Butler’s Island Road — May 18 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 94
- Unidine at Zotos International — 100 Tokeneke Road — June 12 — Town Rating: C — State Score: 86 — Inspector’s Comments: “New staff member on the line without training documentation; soup holding at 118 to 120 [degrees] on the line (set on low), chicken and farro at 100 degrees hot holding (unit not on); salad fridge frozen over (product temperature at 54 degrees) and two-door refrigerator in kitchen at 55 degrees ambient temperature: product temperature ranging from 50 to 54 degrees; chicken salad at 51 degrees (not cooled before holding); thermometer missing in bain-marie; raw pork stored over ready-to-eat food in two-door low-boy [undercounter refrigerator]; employee with a blue finger cot[?] restocking: no glove; storing spoons in hand sink (twice); no waste receptacle at the hand sink on the line; unclean ceiling vents in kitchen area.”
- Upper Crust Bakery & Cafe — 980 Post Road — June 2 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 92
- Whole Foods Market — 150 Ledge Road — June 5 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 92
How Darien’s restaurants are now rated
Restaurants in town are rated under the Darien Health Department’s own A/B/C ratings system. Health inspectors also use the state health code regulations to score restaurants, with a perfect score set at 100, and demerits (of 1 to 4 points each) for various code violations.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com weekday newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
The Darien system takes into account problems that are ongoing, so a restaurant scoring higher than others on the state scale may actually get a lower score on the Darien scale.
You can find the past several inspection ratings under the Darien ratings system for food-serving establishments on this website, and now you can also find copies of inspection reports, including state health code scores in the same place.
Any establishment actually deemed unsafe can be closed by the town Health Department until violations are fixed. Town Health Director David Knauf says that has never happened in the time he’s been with the department.