Overnight from Saturday to Sunday, cars were entered on the lower end of Hollow Tree Ridge Road and nearby Wilson Ridge Road, and in one case an attempt was made to steal an SUV from a driveway, police said.
Each of the vehicles was unlocked, despite repeated thefts from vehicles many times before in that same neighborhood.
Darien police gave these accounts of what happened, listed in order of the times police found out about the vehicles being entered:
Attempted Theft: 33 Hollow Tree Ridge Road
A resident awoke just before 12:27 a.m. after hearing a loud banging sound. Looking outside, the homeowner discovered that the sound had been made by the homeowner’s white 2016 Honda Pilot being driven into the garage door. The SUV’s door was ajar.
Police were immediately called. Officers with a police dog looked around the area but didn’t find the suspect.
Police believe that thieves had tried to steal the SUV, but the driver had shifted to Drive instead of Reverse. The keys that were in the unlocked vehicle were now missing.
Canvass Reveals More Unlocked Cars Entered
Police conducted a neighborhood canvass to see if any other cars had been burglarized. They found these five vehicles in four driveways had been entered:
19 Wilson Ridge Road — a blue 2016 Mazda CX-5 was entered, the homeowner reported. He noticed the interior light of the car was on, and when he went to the car, he found the glove box open and two credit cards missing. Reported to police at 12:37 a.m.
59 Hollow Tree Ridge Road — a black 2014 Mercedes Benz in the driveway had been entered. Nothing appeared to be missing. Found by the officer at 1:24 a.m.
1 Wilson Ridge Road East — a blue 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and a gray 2014 Subaru Forester were entered, police discovered at 6:57 a.m., during their canvass. A debit card, credit card and driver’s license were missing.
39 Hollow Tree Ridge Road — a blue 2012 Honda CRV was entered, but nothing was missing. Discovered by a police officer during the canvass at about 7:30 a.m.
EVENTS RELATED TO RECENT CAR ENTRIES
SATURDAY, Aug. 19
- 6:30 a.m. — Man finds his SUV was stolen in the driveway of 28 Rocaton Road, some distance away from the other incidents.
SUNDAY, Aug. 20
- 12:27 a.m. — resident awakened by attempted vehicle theft, 33 Hollow Tree Ridge Road
- 12:37 a.m. — 19 Wilson Ridge Road entry discovered
- 1:24 a.m. — 59 Hollow Tree Ridge Road entry discovered
- 6:57 a.m. — 1 Wilson Ridge Road East entry discovered
- 7:30 a.m. — 39 Hollow Tree Ridge Road entry discovered
- 11:16 P.M. — Resident discovers home in the 100 block of Maple Street was burglarized earlier that evening.
TUESDAY, Aug. 22
- 3:40 a.m. — police officer stops one of three cars seen traveling on the Post Road and Salt Box Lane; two teenagers arrested, two stolen cars found.