Police: Darien Man, 60, Charged in Domestic Incident Was Wanted for a Previous One

Download PDF

A 60-year-old Darien man arrested last week after a domestic incident was already wanted in connection with a domestic incident in town about two years ago, police said.

Darien police described what happened with this account (including accusations not proven in court):

At 9:51 p.m. on Monday, March 5, a woman called police, who came to her home. She told them she had become afraid of her boyfriend.

Earlier that day, she had driven one of his vehicles away from her house, because she didn’t want it parked there any longer. She said that when her boyfriend went to her workplace to get the keys, so he could move the vehicle back, he was upset.

When she got home from work, she complained about him not keeping the house clean and the amount of items he kept around the house. She “attempted to clean up [the man’s] clothing” as a police announcement put it. At one point he threw clothes at her.

The girlfriend threatened to call police. The boyfriend grabbed her arms to prevent that. Police later saw a small bruise on her left arm. She pulled away from him, ran out of the house and called 911.

The boyfriend told police that when his girlfriend arrived home she got angry about his clothing being left out. He admitted that he argued with her and grabbed her. He said he was worried because the victim had been drinking and was threatening to leave by driving away.

When police conducted a routine check for any criminal records on the man, they found there was an active arrest warrant that hadn’t been served on him. It stemmed from a domestic violence incident in the spring of 2016, when he was charged by Darien police with disorderly conduct.

The man was charged with disorderly conduct and interfering with an emergency call in the March 5 incident. He was arrested, taken to Darien Police Headquarters, photographed, and fingerprinted for those charges and for the active warrant.

He was given a court date of March 6 in state Superior Court in Stamford and released on a $500 bond. He is scheduled to appear there next on April 19.