In the latest food inspection reports released by Darien Health Department include one with a “C” rating (the worst), three more with middling ratings of “B” and four with “A” ratings.
The restaurant that received a “C” was re-inspected a week later and got a “B.”
Details about the towns rating system for restaurants and other food serving establishments are at the bottom of this article, and you can find an article about the ratings system here.
The most recent inspection results
In the list of health inspection results, below, information is listed by name, address, date of inspection, Darien rating, state score, inspector’s comments that led to the state rating and additional remarks on the inspection report.
Dates link to the food establishment’s inspection report referenced here (when available, sometimes it takes a while to get posted online), and Darien’s own A/B/C ratings link to a Web page showing several of the restaurant’s recent inspection ratings.
- Our previous article showing restaurant inspection ratings (Jan. 19)
- Darien Health Department Starts Letter Grades for Food Service Inspections
For restaurants and other food-serving establishments rated “C,” and for some others of interest to the public (like schools) additional information is given. When we provide that information here, then words within brackets (“[ ]”) have been added for clarity by Darienite.com; semicolons like this (“;”) separate individual comments, each one with a particular violation that triggers a point deduction from that perfect state score of 100 points.
Here’s an alphabetical list of the most recently released results of Darien health inspections (keep in mind that a food-serving establishment with a history of good ratings may occasionally get a poor inspection rating, occasionally the best do, and every restaurant normally gets a few things wrong):
- Bodega Taco Bar — 980 Post Road — Jan. 18 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 96
- Embody Fitness Gourmet LLC at Equinox — 72 Heights Road — Jan. 18 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 90
- Frosty Bear Cafe at Darien Library — 1441 Post Road — Jan. 17 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 94
- Hibachi Sushi Ya — 111 Old Kings Hwy. N. — Jan. 25 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 90
- Neat — 20 Grove St. — Jan. 20 — Town Rating: A — State Score: 97
- Planet Pizza of Darien — 882 Post Road — Jan. 17 — Town Rating: C — State Score: 88 — Inspector’s remarks: “Grilled chicken hot held in 95 to 115 [degrees] range (thrown away); items stored in hand sink; no sanitizer set up; wiping cloths not kept in sanitizer between uses; no soap at cook line hand sink; improper thawing of beef. Let it stand at room temperature.” [See re-inspection report just below]
- Planet Pizza of Darien — 882 Post Road — Jan. 25 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 94 — Inspector’s remarks: “Light bulb not protected in walk-in cooler; no sanitizer set up; wiping cloths not kept in sanitizer between uses; no soap at cook line hand sink.”
- Sono Baking Company — 49 Tokeneke Road — Jan. 24 — Town Rating: B — State Score: 90
How Darien’s restaurants are now rated
Restaurants in town are rated under the Darien Health Department’s own A/B/C ratings system. Health inspectors also use the state health code regulations to score restaurants, with a perfect score set at 100, and demerits (of 1 to 4 points each) for various code violations.
Like this article? …
- Sign up for the Darienite.com weekday newsletter.
- Like Darienite.com on Facebook.
- Follow Darienite.com on Twitter.
The Darien system takes into account problems that are ongoing, so a restaurant scoring higher than others on the state scale may actually get a lower score on the Darien scale.
You can find the past several inspection ratings under the Darien ratings system for food-serving establishments on this website, and now you can also find copies of inspection reports, including state health code scores in the same place.
Any establishment actually deemed unsafe can be closed by the town Health Department until violations are fixed. Town Health Director David Knauf says that has never happened in the time he’s been with the department.