Eight Children Treated After Possible Chlorine Exposure at Country Club of Darien

Download PDF

After seven children at the Country Club of Darien complained of symptoms consistent with chlorine exposure on Saturday afternoon, Darien police, firefighters and an ambulance crew were called to the scene.

After the call to first responders went out at 2:50 p.m., a group of youths with complaints of the symptoms were quarantined at the club and evaluated by Darien EMS-Post 53 emergency medical technicians.

Of seven children, ranging in age from 8 to 16, five were later taken to Stamford Hospital “as a precautionary measure.” Police gave out no further information about their condition, although the implication is that they weren’t in immediate danger.

“All of the affected youths were conscious and alert,” police said.

Chlorine exposure, according to the Centers for Disease Control, can occur when someone comes into contact with too much of it in the form of either gas or liquid. Chlorine is a common substance used in homes and elsewhere, including in pools and in cleaners.

In addition to short-term health effects from chlorine exposure, the CDC says, “Long-term complications may occur after breathing in high concentrations of chlorine. Complications are more likely to be seen in people who develop severe health problems such as fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) following the initial exposure.”

At 3:05 p.m., 15 minutes after the report from the country club, police received a report from the home of a girl who had difficulty breathing. She had been at the country club at the time when the other children were there. She was also taken to the same hospital as a precaution.

 

 

By 5:30 p.m., first responders had left the country club, which remains open.

The Police News Release

Here’s the full text of the Darien police news release, emailed at 5:32 p.m., Saturday:

On July 22nd at approximately 2:50pm, the Darien Police Department received a report of a possible chlorine exposure at the Country Club of Darien located at 300 Mansfield Avenue.  Post 53 and the Darien Fire Department also responded to this location.  Upon officer arrival, a small group of youths complaining of symptoms consistent with chlorine exposure were quarantined on premises and evaluated by emergency medical services.  Seven juveniles ranging in age from eight (8) years old to (16) years old were evaluated on site.  Five juveniles were subsequently transported to Stamford Hospital as a precautionary measure.  All of the affected youths were conscious and alert.  At approximately 3:05pm, the Darien Police Department received a complaint of a juvenile female with difficulty breathing at a residence in Darien.  It was determined that this female had also been at the Country Club of Darien at the time of the incident.  The female resident was evaluated by Post 53 and transported to Stamford Hospital as a precautionary measure.  All police, fire, and EMS units have cleared the Country Club of Darien which remains open to its members and guests.