The Darien Department of Public Works has announced the 2017 schedule for leaf pickups, which will take place between Oct. 30 and Nov. 29.
Here’s the schedule, as announced Thursday by the department:
Pickup No. 1:
- Monday, Oct. 30 — north of railroad tracks; and,
- Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2017, south of railroad tracks.
Pickup No. 2:
- Monday, Nov. 13 — north of railroad tracks; and,
- Wednesday, Nov. 15 — south of railroad tracks.
Pickup No. 3:
- Monday, Nov. 27 — north of railroad tracks; and,
- Wednesday, Nov. 29 — south of railroad tracks.
The above schedule is subject to minor variations due to the volume of leaves encountered, snow storms, or other unforeseen circumstance. No other information will be available regarding specific leaf pick-up times. Please be patient.
Please note the following important reminders:
- Leaves will only be picked up if bagged and the bag must be clearly marked “100% Biodegradable” and made of paper. Loose leaves or leaves in plastic bags will not be collected. Please check your local hardware or big box store and supermarket for availability.
- Bags must contain only leaves. Bags containing brush, grass clippings, garbage, or other material will not be collected.
- Residents are not required to participate in the town leaf pickup. Residents are encouraged to compost leaves on their property.
- Dates listed are start dates. Bagged leaves should be at the curb by 7 a.m. on the first morning of the date listed.
- Once leaves have been collected, no return trips will be made until the next scheduled pickup.
- Leaves will be collected on public roads only. Residents of private roads should make their own arrangements for leaf collection.
- Residents with proper permit may also dispose of leaves at the transfer station.
For information, call 656-7346 or visit us online at www.darienct.gov.
Editor’s note: This article originally was published Sept. 28. The time stamp has been changed to put the link back on the Darienite.com home page.